5r rifled barrels

I have only had two other custom barrels and they both were shilen barrels one was on a 22-250 and the other was on a 300 Winmag. Now I have a broughton heavy 5R barrel on my .300 RUM and so far it has performed better than I can shoot .

BigBuck

I have one Shilen Ratchet Rifled barrel and two Mike Rock 5R barrels and I love them both. One thing I can for sure claim is cleaning is and absolute breeze. They also seem to have higher velocities but this is my opinion with no actual side by side testing with standard rifled barrels of equal quality. Accuracy this is a hard one as all of my standard Shilen Select Match barrels are accurate. ( Before I purchased the two Mike Rock barrels I only used Shilen ) BROZ I saw a 6.5x284 Broughton barreled M700 shoot and it was an absolute hammer. The Broughton 5C are supposed to be faster barrels.

My 338 Lapua Improved with a Broughton 5C barrel gives velocities surpassing others with standard barrels, with less powder.

Here is what Thompson Center has on their website regarding the 5r Rifling and why it is beneficial to accuracy. Interesting read.

Technology - Thompson/Center
The same claims made by everyone who makes 5R barrels. I can see where bullet jacket up-set could come into play here. Tyler, do you supposed you get higher velocities because the rifling has canted lands or , maybe, because Broughton/North industries holds tighter dimentional tolerances, uniformity & consistancy, and better surface finishes than some of the others? I think my point here is I'm not so sure it's just the fact that the lands have a 'cant' to them that makes these barrels seem to shoot & clean better or is the barrel maker just getting 'back to the basics' of accurate barrel making. ('back to the basics' being ; uniformity, dimentions, consistancy from end to end, & better surface finishes) Or is it the method used to rifle the barrel, 'pull' button verses 'push' button verses 'cut'. Broughton also makes conventionally rifled barrels. It would be an interesting comparison to have a conventionally rifled and a 5R made by the same maker side by side. Otherwise, we are comparing apples to oranges as each manufacturer uses different tooling and methods than the others, and maybe, a different steel suplier, too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.