511 Yard Coyote

Lowedown

We had trouble getting educated dogs to come all the way to our calls in wide open country. It was fun to watch so many different coyotes from a long ways away though. Anyway, this dog was one of 3 on our final stand that wouldn't come any closer. Having just switched scopes on my 22-250 and unable to get a solid range on all the snow I took an educated guess and pulled the trigger. We were pretty excited on impact! I had gotten a rock-jack ranged at 187 for helping guess, then after hiking down to the coyote I was able to turn around and range the rocks we had been sitting in at 511.

I picked up this rifle in trade during college. It is a sporterized military Mauser action with a 26" barrel and hand shaped Walnut stock. It was built by an old timer from Oregon City named Dean Enstad. I put a Bold trigger in it, then built up a handload of 55 gr. V-max that puts 5 in a dime at 100 :) It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot.
511 yard coyote.jpg

We had trouble getting educated dogs to come all the way to our calls in wide open country. It was fun to watch so many different coyotes from a long ways away though. Anyway, this dog was one of 3 on our final stand that wouldn't come any closer. Having just switched scopes on my 22-250 and unable to get a solid range on all the snow I took an educated guess and pulled the trigger. We were pretty excited on impact! I had gotten a rock-jack ranged at 187 for helping guess, then after hiking down to the coyote I was able to turn around and range the rocks we had been sitting in at 511.

I picked up this rifle in trade during college. It is a sporterized military Mauser action with a 26" barrel and hand shaped Walnut stock. It was built by an old timer from Oregon City named Dean Enstad. I put a Bold trigger in it, then built up a handload of 55 gr. V-max that puts 5 in a dime at 100 :) It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. View attachment 165798
Helluva fine display of LR marksmanship,even with a 22/250 LOL,not hyjacking you but 511 yarsds i believe was my farthest ever shot to date taken this year with my 204,39 grain Blitz King at 3857 feet per second ,on a good sized male ,spun,run,dropped within 50 yards,drt. Gives one a good feeling. Nice shooting nice country also.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.