50mm vs 56mm NXS

Ian M

I would like to know what the actual difference is between the 3.5-15x50 vs the 3.5-15x56 NXS scopes in field use. Wyo, Jamison, Len, anyone who might have both sizes, sure would like some actual use opinions.
Does anyone use both sizes of 3.5-15 NXS?
Do you need higher rings?

Depends on barrel diameter as to ring height I have a 3.5X15X50 and a 3.5X15X56 and use .885 rings with the 50mm objective and 1" rings with the 56mm AS I have not had them long enough to give an opion in the difference's in actuall field use

You are correct, just tried medium Badgers and they are a hair too low. Will get the 1.00 height and be OK for the scope coat. Interested to compare notes as we get shooting the scopes, I have them both also now.

Ian: You probably know this, however with the 50mm objective; the highest power to maximum light ratio during low light conditions is 8 power. With the 56 it is 9 power (9.333). BTW,are you going to be in Utah on April 2nd?

Ward,
Don't know anything about Utah, going to Houston in mid April for the NRA annual meeting. Then the bear hunts start with the .325 WSM, going to be lots of hunting this spring.

jwp475,
I understand that the light transmittion might not be that significant but was told that large lenses can be manufactured to higher quality than small lenses, so the 56 should be a sharper scope. I will do resolution tests when I get this sucker mounted, the two rifles will have identical stocks so that will be good. Just have to wait a bit to get the higher rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.