50mm vs 44mm Objective

I have this in the 3-15x56. It's a great scope. Not a huge fan of the 56 but I originally thought it would make things better in low light conditions over the VX5HD with the 44. Leupold said not really. It'd be so minuscule that your eyes probably won't notice. But the weight difference between the 2 sizes isn't that much. So depending on your needs go with either one and you won't be disappointed. But the 56 is harder to squeeze into some cases as one of the other guys mentioned. I ended up buying a larger case just so it would work better.
Those are the models I compared when I purchased. I currently had a 44mm in the VX5HD and wanted another. Wound up purchasing the 56mm(same magnification). I literally cannot tell a difference in brightness in low light. The 56mm sits on an AR-10. The mount was pretty high allowing a larger objective so I filled that gap up but there is no difference in the amount of light I gain with either model.

Those are the models I compared when I purchased. I currently had a 44mm in the VX5HD and wanted another. Wound up purchasing the 56mm(same magnification). I literally cannot tell a difference in brightness in low light. The 56mm sits on an AR-10. The mount was pretty high allowing a larger objective so I filled that gap up but there is no difference in the amount of light I gain with either model.

I would be disappointed to spend $1200 on a scope and then find it didn't make any difference in the one feature I was expecting it to make a difference.

I would be disappointed to spend $1200 on a scope and then find it didn't make any difference in the one feature I was expecting it to make a difference.
I would have too. Bought it on this forum new in box for 900.00. Paid 830.00 for the 44mm version. Either way I get your point. There is no reason to buy the 56mm in the 3-15 version vs 44mm. I won't again even getting it for 240.00 less than OTC

The average adult's pupil will let in approximately 4mm of light. With that said, your 44 will max at 11 power and a 50 will be 12.5 power to achieve that exit pupil size. If the scope/power provides 6 mm, it doesn't matter, as your eye can't dialate large enough to allow the light in anyway.

Hope this helps.

Steve
That is in a calm scenario. Adrenaline does affect our eyes and age also comes into play as far as max pupil size.
pupil_size_chart(Mar2011).jpg

So a 20-29 year old pupil's could dialate as far at 8.8. Using Boomflop's math regarding power and objective size to calculate exit pupil 44/5=8.8mm so you still get maximum exit pupil your eye could handle in the dark at 5 power. Still above 3 and at 3 power its 14.6mm which gives you some eye box.

Last edited:
I wonder if someone could make a comparison between two scopes that have a higher top end magnification — say a 6-24x or a 5-25x....

I would think that wether we have a 44mm, a 50mm, or a 56mm objective does make a significant difference in the exit pupil* (at max. magnification). From what I understand a larger exit pupil usually results in a larger eye box and a brighter image in low light (all other things being equal).

Matthias

*Exit pupil calculation:
44mm : 24x = 1.8mm exit pupil
50mm : 24x = 2.1mm
56mm : 24x = 2.3mm

I wonder if someone could make a comparison between two scopes that have a higher top end magnification — say a 6-24x or a 5-25x....

I would think that wether we have a 44mm, a 50mm, or a 56mm objective does make a significant difference in the exit pupil* (at max. magnification). From what I understand a larger exit pupil usually results in a larger eye box and a brighter image in low light (all other things being equal).

Matthias

*Exit pupil calculation:
44mm : 24x = 1.8mm exit pupil
50mm : 24x = 2.1mm
56mm : 24x = 2.3mm
I have a 6.5-20x40 and a 6.5-20x50 in VX3 older model LR model scopes. There is no difference (to my oldish eyes) in the two at 20X. That's not real high power but higher than I use when hunting. I don't compete so that's no issue for me.

@JungleShooter As I understand it, brighter would be the wrong term referring to exit pupil size. If your dilated pupil is larger than exit pupil on your scope, it would appear "darker" because there is only say 5mm of light and your eye can take in 8mm. Now where more expensive glass gets you is in light transmission which is a percentage.

Like others have said, under 10x you will not see much difference.

Over 10x magnification, and you will. How much difference you see will depend on the conditions and your eyes.

Personally I would go for the 50mm objective - it will not affect mounting height with a skinny barrel like that, you can use the same rings.
For typical north american big game hunting (+/-30min sunset/sunrise), it's not going to make much difference, but if you ever have to identify a strange object in the dark, you will be glad to have the bigger objective.

I notice the extra girth taking a big scope in and out of gun cases, and especially scabbards.

56mm and up really starts to get unweildly.
Going after and having to pack out an 800 pound Elk shouldn't be concerned about the "extra" drag out of a gun case created by an extra +10mm of an objective lens. Not sure how you can quantify +10mm anyway. JMO

Going after and having to pack out an 800 pound Elk shouldn't be concerned about the "extra" drag out of a gun case created by an extra +10mm of an objective lens. Not sure how you can quantify +10mm anyway. JMO

I must just be a sensitive soul because I can feel every mm after 8hrs in the saddle.

It seems your comprehension might be lacking though; I wrote, and you quoted
Personally I would go for the 50mm objective....

I notice the extra girth taking a big scope in and out of gun cases, and especially scabbards.

56mm and up really starts to get unweildly.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what your point is exactly... You would go with the 50mm too?

It's nice to have choices.

Have a nice day, and happy shooting!

I must just be a sensitive soul because I can feel every mm after 8hrs in the saddle.

It seems your comprehension might be lacking though; I wrote, and you quoted

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what your point is exactly... You would go with the 50mm too?

It's nice to have choices.

Have a nice day, and happy shooting!
You're right. My comprehension was lacking. My heart goes out to that poor horse that would actually the one carrying the additional 2.6 ounces with the larger objective. My bad.