50mm scope vs 40mm/42mm etc...

The larger the objective lens, the more light a scope can let in. Mid-day a large objective lens doesn't help unless using extreme magnification, but a 50mm can give you another 20 minutes of shooting light at dawn & dusk & also helps in crappy weather, where there isn't much light to see by. Assuming the same glass quality, a 50 mm objective lens lets 56% more light through than a 40 mm lens. That's the reason people choose a 50 mm scope.

The negatives of a large scope is easy: They are heavy & they cost more.

Tube diameter limits range of adjustments but does little to improve visual quality.

The best polish to the lens is also in the center... The larger the lens, the more probability you have of getting a lens with a nice big area with high resolution, diminishing at the edges. This will probably only mean anything to you if you are trying to get a value priced scope for a lesser used rifle...... The high dollar stuff had better come with better resolution than i can discern with my eyes.

Resolution will also help you see later in the evening... lots of light will mean nothing if you cannot discern details.

From reading around it seems that you have to have quality glass to transmit that light from the objective end to your eye. You could have a 40mm that transmits light well through the scope and a 50mm that gathers more light but doesnt transmit it to the eye well.

The larger the objective lens, the more light a scope can let in. Mid-day a large objective lens doesn't help unless using extreme magnification, but a 50mm can give you another 20 minutes of shooting light at dawn & dusk & also helps in crappy weather, where there isn't much light to see by. Assuming the same glass quality, a 50 mm objective lens lets 56% more light through than a 40 mm lens. That's the reason people choose a 50 mm scope.

+1

The quality of the scope makes a large difference. A cheep 50 mm objective scope may not do
as well as a high end 40mm retical scope.

Also the 30mm tubes have an advantage over the 1" tubes because of larger lens internally,
stronger tube because of diameter and a shorter overall scope length. Plus most 30 mm
tube body scopes have a side focus feature and can have more elevation in the turrets.

To me the best all round scope is a 4 to 6 x 14 to 20 x 50mm objective and a 30mm tube
with side focus.

J E CUSTOM

The only true test I have seen was a few years ago. I was was shooting a few rifles for some friends of mine. One had a Leuplod 4.5 - 14 x 40mm and the other a 4.5-14x 50mm. Both scopes were baught new that fall from Cabellas. It was PAINFULLY clear that the 50mm scope was far brighter in low light at the end of the day (when I like to do my shooting) than the 40mm. So much so that I actualy stopped shooting for the night and set the guns up side by side and just looked through them till DARK DARK. Now, during the day....same-same-same.

Anyway, around here the best shooting is at/near dark. Probably everywhere, actualy. I have never baught anything but big objective lenses since, except for my match guns.

I'm going to take the cowards way out on this and basically sit on the fence.

I beleive it is a balance. A balance between good glass, objective lens size and magnification.

I have a Kahles AH 3.5-10x50 which is very bright when exterminating pests under a spotlight.
My Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 has the best contrast at dawn and dusk.
My Leupold 4.5-14x50LR allows plenty of adjustment and magnification for varminting.

Each are very good but are mounted on different rifles for different applications.

I'm going to take the cowards way out on this and basically sit on the fence.

I beleive it is a balance. A balance between good glass, objective lens size and magnification.

I have a Kahles AH 3.5-10x50 which is very bright when exterminating pests under a spotlight.
My Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 has the best contrast at dawn and dusk.
My Leupold 4.5-14x50LR allows plenty of adjustment and magnification for varminting.

Each are very good but are mounted on different rifles for different applications.

+1

I totally agree

Our Eyes also have an effect on total performance of any scope.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.