500 yd coyotes, 50 yd skunk.

SIOUXcountry

Hello everyone, I am knew to the shooting world other than basic .22lr tinkin around or an occasional 30-06 whitetail shot. I recently purchased and am going to manage 100+ acres of Wetland Restoration (WRP) and need a good varmit gun.
Now my question for you guys is if it is possible to have a gun capable of knocking down coyotes at 500yds and closer while at the same time not being overkill on a 50 yd ditch skunk? My need for a 500yd round is due to the coyotes/fox that skirt the property across my land and quickly duck for cover in the bordering Kelly's Slough National Wildlife Refuge. I can sit and call but for the most point will be 'making my rounds' daily and limiting any predation.
As far as cost I am thinking $1500 for gun and glass (I tend to believe you get what you pay for). Possibly 22-250, .243, or 25-06? Looking at Tikkas with Swaro Z3 glass. This might go over my budget but that would be justified if it was quality. Thanks

A .243 would be perfect. You have bullet choices roughly from 65gr up to 120gr. It's a small(er), yet very efficient cartridge with roughly 39gr-44gr of powder depending on what your using. I shoot my .243 out to 1,200 yards so 500 yards is no challenge at all for the ole .243. Plus, if you don't reload, there will always be "on the shelf" factory ammo for you to shoot.

I'm sure there are other calibers just as suitable, but the .243 is certainly a good choice.

Remington 700 sps dm in .243 with a Vortex Viper Pst 2.5-10 MOA sitting in leupold medium rings. That'll put you under under $1200. Use the rest to get a nice laminate stock from boydsgunstocks.com and ammo.

22-250 would be better if the majority of your shots are at smaller game, closer distance or if you want to keep pelts. The .243 win will be a huge step up in the wind complared to the 22-250(wind is the name of the game at Long range).

Remington 700 sps dm in .243 with a Vortex Viper Pst 2.5-10 MOA sitting in leupold medium rings. That'll put you under under $1200. Use the rest to get a nice laminate stock from boydsgunstocks.com and ammo.

22-250 would be better if the majority of your shots are at smaller game, closer distance or if you want to keep pelts. The .243 win will be a huge step up in the wind complared to the 22-250(wind is the name of the game at Long range).
243 thumbs up all the way

I take it you don't reload?

Not yet. I don't have the space just yet, but plan on buying a single stage press and dialing in my gun in the near future. I few guys I work with are into match shooting and reload all of their own rounds. Unfortunately they don't reload .243 or 25-06 but would be good help if I were to start.

Another vote for the 243. Tikka also gets my vote.

I am leaning towards the Tikka T3 Lite because I will be slinging it when I Nordic ski my property and head out to western North Dakota for some long range coyote hunts. So the .243 will be great for that, but I am just wondering if it will be too much gun for short range smaller predator hunting. I suppose I could just use my .22 Lr for those shots, but was hoping for an all purpose gun.

I think it would be useful to have you define exactly what you mean by "too much gun."

Are you trying to save pelts? Are you concerned about overpenetration/ricochets? It is not clear why too much gun would be a problem on smaller predators at close range.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I emptied a marauding racoon's skull a couple of years ago with a 22-250 and a 52g AMAX at less than 15 yards. The bullet came apart and showed no signs of an exit.

I doubt very much that a 58g VMAX from a .243 would behave any differently in that scenario. However, the .243 would definitely give better performance at 500 yards using heavier bullets.

I think the 22-250 would work for what you want, but I would recommend that you look for a rifle with a twist no slower than 1:12 (1:14 is more common).

IMO, the .243 would be a better all around choice.

I think it would be useful to have you define exactly what you mean by "too much gun."

Are you trying to save pelts? Are you concerned about overpenetration/ricochets? It is not clear why too much gun would be a problem on smaller predators at close range.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I emptied a marauding racoon's skull a couple of years ago with a 22-250 and a 52g AMAX at less than 15 yards. The bullet came apart and showed no signs of an exit.

I doubt very much that a 58g VMAX from a .243 would behave any differently in that scenario. However, the .243 would definitely give better performance at 500 yards using heavier bullets.

I think the 22-250 would work for what you want, but I would recommend that you look for a rifle with a twist no slower than 1:12 (1:14 is more common).

IMO, the .243 would be a better all around choice.

By saying "too much gun" I was reffering to ricochet and noise, as well as recoil. Not saying a .243 has too much recoil, but i am used to my .22 for smaller game. Obviously my lack of load knowledge is in play here, so I am glad to see that there are so many options for different scenarios.

Some time, just for sh!*$ and giggles, check out the ammo shelf at a Cabela's, Bass Pro, or similar store to see the wide array of ammo available for the .243. I personally have factory ammo that runs the gamut from 87g SST's @ 2800 fps to 58g VMAX @ 3900+fps. I don't know of any other cartridge that offers that kind of range in factory ammo.

It is interesting that you mention noise as a factor in your choice. Though the .243 may recoil slightly more than a .22 centerfire, I don't think it will be any noisier. The various .22 centerfires from .223 on up, for some reason, have always seemed to me to be much louder than they ought to be. I've never understood why that is.

Some time, just for sh!*$ and giggles, check out the ammo shelf at a Cabela's, Bass Pro, or similar store to see the wide array of ammo available for the .243. I personally have factory ammo that runs the gamut from 87g SST's @ 2800 fps to 58g VMAX @ 3900+fps. I don't know of any other cartridge that offers that kind of range in factory ammo.

It is interesting that you mention noise as a factor in your choice. Though the .243 may recoil slightly more than a .22 centerfire, I don't think it will be any noisier. The various .22 centerfires from .223 on up, for some reason, have always seemed to me to be much louder than they ought to be. I've never understood why that is.

Guess I have never really thought about the difference in noise too much, but do know that the DPMS AR .223 I have used was super loud with its muzzle break. And it was left handed and I am right so that may have something to do with it.
Anyhow thanks for all the advice. I think I will go for the .243 and use the factory rounds to start. I read about the Leupold V-Max 6 series and it sounds like a great near and far range scope. Pricey I know but I plan on owning this setup for life and don't mind saving a little longer to really get what I want. Any advice on glass? I reall y like the Swaro Z3, but $$$.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.