500 yard load for 223 rem 1 in 9 twist

This post is a Super Zombie post, 20yrs old.LOL
If someone wants info on shooting up to 500 yrs on the .223/5.56 cartridge they should start a new post. The .223 with 65 gr SGK is our go to for Yotes , PD to 400 yds +++ and buck the wind. 1:8 Twist 20" .
ZMax 50 gr are devastating on pd & chucks with the right load.
I am sure some members will chime in since we traded away several K 50gr ZMax.

70RDF with 24.5 Varget = 2910 FPS @ .010 off lands. 9.4 moa drop @ 500 no pressure even in 100 degree Az heat

I believe we have a new record? Previous to this I think around 14 years old was the record. Can we get a mod to verify this as the oldest resurrection?
Last seen the same day he joined and posted. That may be a record also?

Tommy,
The 223 will easily make varmint kills out to 500yds. Your best bet would be to find the most accurate bullet regardless of weight and shoot for the record on a windless day. If that bullet is a 69-75gr bullet than you may have the best of both worlds.
This past groundhog season, I shot a few small groundhog pups @ 400yds with a .221 and a Nosler 40gr B-Tip. Naturally, I only use this set-up when the wind is down. When I had this rifle built, I figured that it would only be good out to 250yds or so. However it easily groups .5" @ 100yds and about 3" @ 400yds when there is little wind. I only have a Leupold 3X9 Compact scope on this rig and that is plenty for 400yd shots. Although, I did have Premier Reticle put 3 tiny aiming dots on the verticle crosshair.
For your first shot at getting into the 500yd Club, pick your days. Good luck.
VH
So @Varmint Hunter do you still have the 221 after all these years?

So @Varmint Hunter do you still have the 221 after all these years?

I still own and shoot the same rifle today. However, when I rebarreled the rifle, I had it chambered in .223. I use Lapua .223 brass and moved to a slightly heavier bullet (50gr V-Max).
This rifle was always a companion to my long(er) range heavy gun in 22-243AI.

Considering the popularity of the .223, it`s an oldie but a goodie! 69 SMK has got to be one of the best .223 bullets ever made. Anyone with 7-9 twist gun should try them. For those who shoot factories, ADI makes one that shoots great in my 7 twist Savage Model 12 LRPV at 500 yards.