• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

.500 Jeffery African Safari Rifle! Elephant Headache Medicine!!

Ah all you serious big bore guys...the Lott is not bad! But I will have to admit the 500 Jeffery isn't at all bad when you realize what your getting...cross section snd stopping power...i've shot both snd still own a Lott...the Jeffry's impulse isnt as sharp...I just dont shoot big bore often enough to justify! But this rifle is truely a masterpiece from the looks of it!

Thank you all for the good words, this rifle is really as nice as it looks in the pics! I priced it to move, can't believe no one jumped on it.. It is fun to shoot, and if I wasn't fund raising for another project, it would be staying in the safe. I own a .500 NE double, .416 Rig., 2 - .375 H&H's and this one will be missed...

$4800.00 shipped to your dealer!

I have bought guns from BigBuck 74. Great guns and a great guy to deal with!

Okay, you may be thinking why I don't buy this 500 Jeffery? Heck, I already have a .450 Rigby, .458 Lott, .416 Rem, .416 Taylor, and (3) 375 H&H's! I must resist temptation, I must resist... :)

"There is something special about a rifle with a bore so large you can stick your finger in it, using a case the size of a MiniMag flashlight: it means business." American Hunter (500 Jeffery & 505 Gibbs article)

I'd post a photo of that cartridge next to a 300 Win Mag.

Offers will probably pour in quickly!

I've shot alot of guns and own several big bores.. nothing kicks me as hard as my 870 with a 21" slug barrel and a 600gr. Lightfield slug at 1750 fps.

This gun is not bad at all, weighs 10.2 lbs as most safari rifles do.

I killed a hippo with my .500NE double and never felt anything.

The .458 lott has a more than unusual recoil for some reason, snappy. I have heard alot of people complain about the Lott
Now thass a man!

Amen, Brother. Try shooting a Mossberg 500 with a 18" slug barrel, after a couple of shots you are ready to call it a day.
I've shot alot of guns and own several big bores.. nothing kicks me as hard as my 870 with a 21" slug barrel and a 600gr. Lightfield slug at 1750 fps.

This gun is not bad at all, weighs 10.2 lbs as most safari rifles do.

I killed a hippo with my .500NE double and never felt anything.

The .458 lott has a more than unusual recoil for some reason, snappy. I have heard alot of people complain about the Lott

1610292054487.png

1610292610916.png

I poached some pics from online to show the bullet.. I sold all my brass to a good friend once I decided to sell this gun.. I am sure I have an empty floating around here..

Last edited:
Amen, Brother. Try shooting a Mossberg 500 with a 18" slug barrel, after a couple of shots you are ready to call it a day.
This .500 jeffery doesn't kick like my 870... it is much more pleasant... I shot the lightfield 600 grain slugs at 1750 fps.. ouch....

Thank you all for the good words, this rifle is really as nice as it looks in the pics! I priced it to move, can't believe no one jumped on it.. It is fun to shoot, and if I wasn't fund raising for another project, it would be staying in the safe. I own a .500 NE double, .416 Rig., 2 - .375 H&H's and this one will be missed...

$4800.00 shipped to your dealer!
How do your 375 H&H perform

Considering we hunt deer with .50 cal muzzleloaders, shooting 2100 fps... I think this wold make a fine deer rifle!!! Especially when a few trees are covering the vital areas!! Check out this video!

The .375's are great. If ever I can afford to chase elephant I will use a larger bore. The .375 H&H is effective but is not .416, .458, or .500. I admit that I have way more guns than I need...

This .500 Jeffery is a magnificent rifle built on a magnum double square bridge M98 action with integral scope bases. And notice how the grains of the English walnut are aligned to the grip angle rather than the length of the stock. Nicely done!