$500 budget scope

killerspoons

this will be mounted on a 7mm rem mag for deer/ elk hunting out to 500-700 yards and target shooting out to 1000yards. i dont have the money for a more expensive scope and saving up isnt really an option right now. Thanks

I agree with Vortex. The optical quality, combined with the features you get make it a winner. I have only looked through and used Leupold, Nikon, and Vortex in this price range, so take it for what its worth(nothing).:)

I disagree with the Vortex recommendation for two reasons. I think 6.5-20X is to much magnification for big game up to 700 yds. I think 14X to 16X is sufficient on the high end. More magnification than that just increase glare (reduces contrast) and reduces field of view unnecessarily.

Vortex Viper scopes have sub-par glare performance to big with. They're not terrible, but they're below average for their price point. That is, you can do better. In some lighting conditions the poorer glare performance will reduce contrast. High contrast is more important for big game hunting than it is for range shooting, for example. That's why I consider Vipers to be good target scopes, but not so good hunting scopes.

I would say a 20 MOA rail by EGW and a Weaver 2-10. I have never used the 2-10 but have used the 4-16 and the clicks are right on time and time again,

Thanks,Keith

I think you can't find a better deal for the money than the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 made for Midway USA. I mounted one on my 300 Ultra mag. installed the shims so the zero stop is set and in two weeks I'm off to Montana to harvest my Bull Elk. Regular price is $499 sale they go for $399. This will give you plenty of optics for what you want to do and not hurt your budget!

I just ordered and will soon get a Leupold VX-2 6x18x40 for 495 from a guy on here. I think it will do the trick, The power is right and Leupy's typically have accurate click values. It's lighter and a little smaller than the 50 objective and it will be interesting to see how that is. I'll let you know. My objectives are the same as yours. For target I have a Nightforce 5.5x22x50, I don't think it can be beat either. But I like smaller and lighter for hunting.

You didn't mention what features you wanted so I won't be able to narrow it down much. I would suggest figuring that out before you start your search.

#1 Be sure to check the used section of this site and others. You can find some great deals at times on some higher end scopes that may fit your needs.

But even buying new there are a surprising amount of jewels in this price range, especially if you are willing to go with a 2-10, 3-9, 4-12, and 4-16 power range scopes. And IMO you should be ok with this as you don't need much magnification to shoot out to 700 yards on deer and elk sized game.

Zeiss makes a nice 3-9x40 in a plex reticle for under your price range. I think you could upgrade to the target turrets as well or get custom ones and still be under $500
Bushnell Elite has many good options under $500. You can even get into some of their custom reticles if that is a feature you want. I believe you can get the 4-16x50 for right at $500. I personally wouldn't go over 4-4.5x on the low end for a hunting scope so the 4x scopes like this are a really nice fit for low and high end magnification. Bushnell Tactical does have 2 that would fit as well, their 5-15 and the 10x. Both proven scopes and have nice features for the price, ie target turrets, mildot reticles, etc. Their rain-guard is a nice feature for hunting IMO and their glass is very good.
Weaver is one of my favorite brands for this price range. They make very durable scopes that have excellent glass for the price and their turret repeatability is as good as it gets in my experience. Look at the Grand Slam, Super Slam, and even the V series. The V16 is a nice little scope with semi target turrets and even has a custom reticle option now. I have 3 of these and have used them to death with no ill effects.
Hawke is a somewhat unknown name here in the states but they make very durable optics and their glass is coming along as well. They give you a lot of options for the dollar. Look at the Sidewinder, Sidewinder Tactical, and Endurance line. They are tough as nails and have a big following in the precision airgun and FT world which is a very demanding sport. I would buy new if you go this route as some of the older models didn't as good of glass as the new ones do.
Sightron SII and BigSky also have good options.
And Meopta and Minox have new lines that fit as well. Nikon makes some scopes that will fit too but I don't have as much experience with these 3.

HTH,

Scot E.

Depending on how accurate you want to be, id SAVES up even tho this is not An OPTEN.
I wouldn't get any SCOPE for less than $1000, as teas low end scopes don't RELIEBELETY for LR shooting.
Even if you save up for 3-4 years if you get something like a ZEISS for 1800 you will have a scope for life,
lightbulb:)

Depending on how accurate you want to be, id SAVES up even tho this is not An OPTEN.
I wouldn't get any SCOPE for less than $1000, as teas low end scopes don't RELIEBELETY for LR shooting.
Even if you save up for 3-4 years if you get something like a ZEISS for 1800 you will have a scope for life,
lightbulb:)
Its never a bad thing to buy as much scope as you can but I am not sure I would agree with your statement. There are some very tough and repeatable scopes in the list I gave. Good enough that they would give the big boys a run for their money IME. And why miss out on all the experience 3-4 years would give you just because you were saving for a nicer scope!

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.