500-800 yd elk rifle

The issue with R22 is temp stability, you may have an awesome load one day and it's running 30 fps slower the next, that screws with your ballistics.

There is a lot to learn and a lot of questions to ask but it's a rewarding when, regardless of range you have the ability to make a precision shot knowing that your pulling the trigger on a 100% shot!!

Your are aware your on a forum dedicated to Long Range Hunting right?

This is long range hunting, but if I'm 500 yards out and I'm given the option to move A) 200 yards closer to take the shot or B) 200 yards farther away to take the shot, I'm going to pick A every time.

Very rarely will I ever be running below 32f just as rarely over 45f usually between 35-45f but I hear what your saying. My go to 175 gr load is corelokts with rl22 and an SD of 7 fps - obviously those corelokts are worthless past 400 and all the rest of the details.

Components arent cheap - just looking for a good place to start. So far a vangaurd leaves me with around 700$ left over aside from the 1200$ optic budget and 400$ component budget to get it dialed in well under MOA. The 300 wby seems to be a pretty good standard -- not saying there arent better options but to come in on or under budget I'm having a tough decision. -- the savage long range in 300 WM is going to be cheaper with components for sure, so that's a tough decision.

My 7mm is right at MOA but I'm sure I can get that around 1/2 MOA if I work with it as iv only tried 2 load combos that were good enough for me so I didnt go further - everyone says not to waste money on a ruger m77 mkii action though

This is long range hunting, but if I'm 500 yards out and I'm given the option to move A) 200 yards closer to take the shot or B) 200 yards farther away to take the shot, I'm going to pick A every time.
No one has ever said to back up, it's about taking the best shot possible, if the conditions support a shot and it's the best position, I'm dropping elk not farting around with being limited by a number.

If I can avoid it I'll never shoot an elk past 400 yards -- just looking to expand my options and if I do I will have the right set up and put in the time to make sure I'm proficient at whatever range that ends up being. -- at this point, regardless of my ability I dont plan on going past my personal limitations or my equipments limitations. Even if I become proficient at 1200 yards I dont intend on shooting at game past 800 at this point ever.

None of this is about range, even though that is kinda the metric we use, it's about doing better at evey aspect of a hunt, being capable of long range is just a tool in your tool bag, you will find that it will improve ALL your shots near or far!!

No one has ever said to back up, it's about taking the best shot possible, if the conditions support a shot and it's the best position, I'm dropping elk not farting around with being limited by a number.

Yes, I agree. But there is nothing more exciting than calling in an elk when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks green I will certainly keep that in mind -- could you expand on what you had to do to make a vangaurd more accurate? And what powders you would recomend for a 7mm RM

I hunt with a .338 wm 225 gr e-tips at around 2800 fps - from what I have read I dont think that will suffice at 800 yards. Its a 1.5 inch rifle at 100 yrs. I want to get a secondary rifle that will strictly be used at 500-800 yards. It wont be my primary rifle.

I'm debating between savage long range Christianson arms and a browning hells canyon long range. I want to stay under 1400 for the rifle and around 1k for a scope. Cartridges are between 300 rum - 300 win mag - 338 rum. Outside options would include 7mm rum and 338-378 wby in a mark 5. 300 wm is the cheapest but it seems like it may be a marginal upgradd from the 338 I already use.

This will be for 2021 season
Have a full custom CA 338 RUM that I had them build years back. Most accurate large magnum I own.. loves the 250 grain accubonds and 225 grain TTSX's.. it's my go to Elk Thumper 😂👍🏻!!

Have a full custom CA 338 RUM that I had them build years back. Most accurate large magnum I own.. loves the 250 grain accubonds and 225 grain TTSX's.. it's my go to Elk Thumper 😂👍🏻!!
Thats really great if I was building a custom rifle for long range a .338 RUM would be at the top of the list. Definitely wouldnt be a CA though. - if your happy that's what counts.

I hunt with a .338 wm 225 gr e-tips at around 2800 fps - from what I have read I dont think that will suffice at 800 yards. Its a 1.5 inch rifle at 100 yrs. I want to get a secondary rifle that will strictly be used at 500-800 yards. It wont be my primary rifle.

I'm debating between savage long range Christianson arms and a browning hells canyon long range. I want to stay under 1400 for the rifle and around 1k for a scope. Cartridges are between 300 rum - 300 win mag - 338 rum. Outside options would include 7mm rum and 338-378 wby in a mark 5. 300 wm is the cheapest but it seems like it may be a marginal upgradd from the 338 I already use.

This will be for 2021 season
All factory rifles are a gamble, some are less so.
Seekins havak in 300 win mag, 300 PRC or 28 nosler.
Or Remington mil-spec 5r in 300 win mag, the mil spec seems to be a step above all the other remmys and maybe just a better gamble.
I'd not do a 300 weatherby just because of the lack of brass options and I don't think it's the greatest brass for what you pay. Win mag and 300 PRC both have adg brass which is awesome and lapua just announced they will be making both(don't hold your breath on when)

So you say no to the weatherby with a sub moa gaurentee -- then recomend a Remington and a seeking havoc which neither has an accuracy guarantee. Sorry but your suggesting a crap shoot instead of.a sure bet.

I'm not a wby guy -- but this site obviously has some bias which is blatantly stupid.

Seriously - I came into this not really.considering wby-- but they are the only.ones in a reasonable price range to promise sub MOA. Yet im told to gamble with mfg that have no standards for more?