500-800 yd elk rifle

If I were to stick with .338 wm I think I would have to switch bullets - idk if a solid copper bullet would expand enough under 1800 fps. - out to 500 yards is no problem with my current scope and rifle. 500 yards is also my limit - iv never shot further.

What would be a minimum sized scope for 800 yards? Could I get away with using mildots or need turrets?

3.5-10 should serve you well on big game....while giving you good close range capabilities! memtb

I thunk 3.5-10x40 or 2-7x33 are the most ideal 0-500 yards for elk. I just dont know how effective my vx3i 3.5-10x40 would be 500-800 yards. I guess add turrets?

I thunk 3.5-10x40 or 2-7x33 are the most ideal 0-500 yards for elk. I just dont know how effective my vx3i 3.5-10x40 would be 500-800 yards. I guess add turrets?

I believe that turrets could be a viable option. We have those on our 3.5-10x40's, which obviously make extended shots a bit easier! We've not used them much, but, i5 is comforting to know that they are available! memtb

I think the most viable option for the .338 would be the 265 gr ablr - a muzzle velocity of 2500 fps should be attainable . my vx3i total **adjustment of 52 moa*** idk if that would be enough to compensate for the roughly 200 inches of drop at 800 yards

I also have a 7mm I could try out but it seems pretty marginal at 800 yards for elk. The trajectory is good but it would seem counter productive to use a 7mm rem mag at 500-800 when I'm using a 338 wm at 0-500.

At the end of the day I would likely spend 3-400 in components and may not get where I want to be with any of the three rifles I have as options.

I think my best starting point is picking up a range certified sub moa 300 wby for 700. I can get 100 peices of why brass for under 200$ buy 4 diff powders in 1lb jugs when I find a good load pick up 8lb.

Sorry to offend you,,but getting close is real hunting, long range is just killing..this will start a hot debate..
You ever try to do it, getting close isn't that big of deal, picking the one elk you want to kill then hunting it till both it and you line up for one perfect shot, it's on par with bow hunting for me.
I've shot a lot of elk up close that was no more than killing, range does not determine if you've hunted or just shot by any stretch of the imagination!!

Yeah I know the 7 will out range the 338 - just not in terms of energy, but trajectory and wimd drift the 7 should.be more accurate at range. I was hoping to stay around 2000 ft lbs of energy at 800 yards. I'm sure a 175 gr soft 7mm bullet at 1800 fps or more would.be fine as well.
The potential of a 300 wby seems like it makes it a good.place to start although we could pick a lot of cartridges and bullet combos suitable for.the task at hand it really comes down to.fimdimg a rifle under 1400 that has the accuracy to get out to 800 consistently. The range certified wby starting under a moa seems like it would be the safest bet. But that's why im asking you guys.

Basically a lot of it comes down to the rifle choices. Savage browning wby vangaurd rc. The savage would limit me to 300 WM which it sounds like is a fine choice. The browning hells canyon long range I could go 300 RUM the vangaurd I can go 300 wby. All three are known to be sub MOA but only the RC vangaurd I believe is gaurenteed under MOA

Yeah I know the 7 will out range the 338 - just not in terms of energy, but trajectory and wimd drift the 7 should.be more accurate at range. I was hoping to stay around 2000 ft lbs of energy at 800 yards. I'm sure a 175 gr soft 7mm bullet at 1800 fps or more would.be fine as well.
The potential of a 300 wby seems like it makes it a good.place to start although we could pick a lot of cartridges and bullet combos suitable for.the task at hand it really comes down to.fimdimg a rifle under 1400 that has the accuracy to get out to 800 consistently. The range certified wby starting under a moa seems like it would be the safest bet. But that's why im asking you guys.
Well, both loaded to their best have more than 1800 at 800 yards with the 338 having only a 100 ft lbs more.
The 7 will be 3 moa flatter with less wind drift, the 7 delivers the bullets at a higher velocity and are well withing their operating range the 338 is marginal so even if you hit it with more ft lbs your 338 bullet had less chance to open. That's why the light 338 mags are very hard to make into consistent long range elk guns, ya it can be done but the niche is narrow. Foot lbs are nearly meaningless, it's your impact velocity and bullet construction that will either deliver a lethal wound channel or not.

I agree green - good points. I already have 100 175 gr ablr sitting in my reloading room so before I go back to work I may just see how I can get them to group and how they run over the chronograph. If I can get under 1/2 moa at around 2800 fps I may just go that route. -- otherwise I'm thinking the 300 wby in possibly an accugaurd gives me a lot to work with. One problem is im almost out of rl 22 and I will have to pay top dollar for it on gunbroker to stock up

Last edited:
I've worked for a long time making Vanguards in 300 WBY into consistent long range guns, magazine is WAY too short for long range bullets and you end up burying them in the case and jumping everything .250+ which is harder to find that sub moa load at longer ranges. Out of the box there are a lot of compromises with the WBY
I agree green - good points. I already have 100 175 gr ablr sitting in my reloading room so before I go back to work I may just see how I can get them to group and how they run over the chronograph. If I can get under 1/2 moa at around 2800 fps I may just go that route. -- otherwise I'm thinking the 300 wby in possibly an accurate gives me a lot to work with. One problem is im almost out of rl 22 and I will have to pay top dollar for it on gunbroker to stock up

R22 is not usable for long range, there are a lot of things that are usable at 400 that won't be by 800 and not even workable by 1000.

Okay I have only done a couple diff combos with the 7mm but rl22 worked well at 175 grains for me but its the only powder I tried. What would you recommend?

As far as mag length issues I would be fine with having to load one at a time for only long range work - or modifying the magazine.

I'm open to suggestions. Iv never shot past 500 and havent ever considered such a rifle up until now. The goal is to be good at 800 next season -- if I can only get peoficient to 550-600 then that will be where I'm at -- but id like to have something capable to 800 if I can get there.