.50 peacemaker Vs .338 Lapua

BountyHunter
I just received an e-mail from Rich Machholz the 1000 yard shooter at Sierra bullets stating there is no plan to drop the 240 gr matchking.
Lynn

460Wby,

In performacne they are ballistic Twins.

In case design they are quite different as the Kahn uses teh 338-378 WBY case as its parent case and the big Excaliber uses a non-belted design.

Performance of the two would be nearly identical. I went with the Kahn as its parent brass is much easier to get and suprisingly cheaper then the A-Square Excaliber brass if you can ever find it.

Nice thing about the Kahn is that I can use 30-378, 338-378, 378, 416 or 460 Wby brass to form cases. There will always be brass around.

I would not make the same comment about the A-Square brass.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

fiftydriver,
I have never heard of the Richard Graves
350gr. ULD bullet,it sound's interesting can
you give me more info about how to aquire
some of these mini-rocket's. are they solid
copper like the lost rivers or do they have
a lead core ?
thank's B

Brian D,

All of Richards bullets are true match quality lead core bullets. None of that solid copper stuff to throat off ballance and such.

The 350 gr pills are available now but I do not know if he has any in stock at the moment.

You can e-mail Richard at:

[email protected]

He is a hell of a guy and make some very quality bullets.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiffty.
I just found out that myself too.
The Excalibur is a 300 Pegasus based cartridge. I think I really was thinking of the 338 A-Square, but that has a rather long troath. I agree with your choice, theese cases wil never die.
Does the KAHN have shorter troath and sharper shoulder than the A-Square?

460 Wby,

The Kahn and A-Suare are basically identical.

There may be slight differences in shoulder angle and neck length but other then that I would say they are twins by a different name.

The throat in my Kahn is relatively short for shooting bullets like the 300 gr Sierra Mk as it is only 0.275" long. Still it is plenty long enough when you have a case that will handle 120 gr of powder.

I personally do not feel the throat length increases or decreases accuracy potential as long as the throat diameter is correct for a given bullet and the run outs in teh ammo are quality.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Howdy... Nice to hear Good Things about Richard and his bullets.. Have been using his 30 cal and 6.5 (and some others ie. .338 and 7mm in my 280 Ack IMP.) am waiting for 250's and some others for my 338/300 RUM Imp project...
Apparently I have the privilege of being Richard's FIRST customer... LRB from Rocky

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.