50 Cals for Hunting Dangerous Game? Real World Experience? Bullets/Loads?

RUM, I suppose that the yard photo is from drifting! We rarely get wind, so no drifting here! Present conditions here! memtb

idnQqvql.jpg
No drift in the yard it's over a foot . Look at picnic table.

Everything's on the table.
Either way, I have a general question:
When to switch to backup? If a bear is charging, and you've got some space, probably keep working the rifle bolt. At some point he's gonna be too close to have time for working the bolt or, worst case, closer than the end of the barrel.
At some point, pumping a whole lot of rounds into him in a hurry might at least slow the charge.
Any thoughts?
Yes, hunt with that fat, slow brother-in-law you can't stand. Be sure you can run faster than he can.

Thinking about a 50 for dangerous game. Wondering what your experiences are as a primary weapon. Also be nice to know if it would be a good backup and when to switch to backup? Finally, what bullet/loads do the job?

Yes, hunt with that fat, slow brother-in-law you can't stand. Be sure you can run faster than he can.
Caution: Be sure the B-I-L thinks he doesn't have to work on skinning, hauling out that bear. NOTHING faster than a southbound B-I-L when there is perceived work to the north.

Just realized this was in the handgun forum. I change my answer to .475 linebaugh. Single action shouldn't be a problem. Shoot a couple cowboy matches and you will have that down.
Agree. I have the 475 Linebaugh in a really nice Freedom Arms single action. Practice cocking as you recover from recoil, and it happens quite naturally. In a pistol with this level of recoil, I suspect you will master single action faster than double action.

Don't have to pull the trigger on that S&W 500, just use an old line "Well do you feel lucky, punk?" :) :) :)

I guess the grip is like the Three Bears story….for some "too big", others "too small", and for the rest "just right"!

I have the 460, same grip, it "just right"! 😉 memtb

Recent Posts