.50 cal. varmint rifle query....

Holmes

Greetings all,

New to the site and I am hesitant in posting here as my "long range" hunting seems to be where many of you guys start!

My interest is in building a big bore to chase coyotes, jackrabbits, etc., at 500-600 yards.

The rifle will be a long barreled #1 with brake. I want to do a .50 calibre and I'm investigating the 500 A-Square and SSK's .50 Peacekeeper.

Plenty of information available on the A-Square but I'm having no luck finding anyone with experience regarding the Peacekeeper.

Any input would be appreciated concerning either cartridge.

Regards,

~Holmes

Holmes,
Don't be shy, your in the right neighborhood now.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000278

This is the only one I would use, without a doubt in the #1 or a boltgun if I were to build a fifty. The boltgun could use a longer barrel without stressing the action if blocked, where the #1 it seems would be a bit more of a challenge with a 40 inch or so barrel.

Later
Brent

Hello Brent,

That cartridge sounds simply incredible! A 750 grain pill at 3000 fps? By the Gods, that's faster than the BMG isn't it?

I think the 500 A2 or the Peacekeeper represent the limit for me in a shoulder fire rifle. I've got to carry this thing around the Wyoming prairie!

It seems to me that a feller probably ought to call a 34" barrel the limit on a #1 rifle. I'm hoping to have this rig finish at 13-14 lbs.

Another question I have is scope selection. My first inclination would be one of the Leupold units. I'll need target turrets and plenty of eye relief. What are your recommendations regarding brand, model, tube diametre, and objective size?

Thanks for your input and the warm welcome.

Regards,

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Holmes ]

The 50 whisper would probably fill your bill sub-sonic or sonic with medium-heavy recoil also from SSK. There was one for sale priced at $1995.00 at MARXARMORY 850-769-4495. In fact thats what I'm having built based on a 300win mag case head size rifle.

Holmes,
Indeed, I was dreaming quite a bit to say the least. What the hell was I thinking about, must have been the 408 CheyTac with the 400gr bullet and got the numbers crossed without thinking or something. It would still be my choice over the Peacekeeper round though.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.