50 BMG

meathead

I had some job set backs, but I got that cured. Now I am back on track to plan a Long Range hunting rig. I am posting this question on both Long Range and Ultra Long Range, and I hope to hear a responce from S1
confused.gif

Why the lack of intrest in the 50 BMG? Is it a accuracy issue?

Meathead
Accuracy with the 50 is excellent if set up right.Weight is your biggest concern.My unlimited gun weighs in at 94 pounds so lugging it back and forth to the bench is a small job.Some states such as Idaho have put weight restrictions on the guns that can be used for big game hunting and a 16 pound 50 isn't as fun to shoot as a 94 pound gun.If you are looking for extreme accuracy from a 50 you need the following.McBros benchrest action at about $2000 K-P barrel at about $400 K-P muzzle brake at $350 Jewell trigger at $150 McMillan or custom stock at $300-$1500 You'll then need one of these three gunsmiths to put it together.Randy Dierks,Kenny Johnson or Matt Huston.The scope needs to be a Nightforce at $1200 and the ammo runs $6 a shot.If you reload your own the better presses run $750 bullets are $2-$4 each brass is IMI at $1 primers are RWS at $100 for 500 and the powder runs $125 for 8 pounds of VV20N29 and that only loads 225 rounds.Dies cost $400 Shipping components is something to consider also as 500 bullets weigh about 60 pounds as delivered.In conclusion once you shoot one it's too late you'll buy one.
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.