50 BMG scopes

Any preference:

Nightforce NXS or ATACR
Steiner
Schmidt & Bender
Running Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25 x 50 on two of my Barrett M107A1s,,,,,,kinda sentimental old school . NF ATACR 7-35x56 on third.....definitely not a NXS.....outdated IMHO. Leupold Mark 5 HD 7-35x56 on one. Sig Tango6 5-30x56 on Titanium Gray one. Vortex Razor Gen2 4.5-27x56 last one. No issues; pleased with all. Have run S&B PMII successfully, but prefer current assortment. No Steiner experience. Like in glass cant indicator as in Sig......no outside peeky needed. Dial elevation; hold wind. Of course, recoil on the Barrett is more of a long push than a sharp impulse; all capable of most any recoil as with bolt. They all dial well with repeatability, precision.; any very minor tracking errors plugged for in AB. Shoot to 2000-2200m with 750gr A-tips, mono brass; high angle out west. I'm the fly in the ointment today. Side note, SOCCOM chose ATACR, Army MK 5 HD for Barrett MK22 ASR in 308Win -300/338NM replacing 50BMG M82/107s.

Lo, yeah my 50 was around 40 lbs... did I try shooting it standing... maybe... could I look through the scope? That's a negative
Mine is 30 lbs...empty 10 shot mag, if they made 10 lb scope....that's the one I'd buy!!!!! I painted mine in hopes our Prime Minister wouldn't be afraid of it anymore....black guns scare him!

Attachments

• PXL_20210114_163945119.jpg
    PXL_20210114_163945119.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
It's top 3 in what PRS competition shooters use.
The chart doesn't necessarily show which scope is better. For example, the chart shows more people using Bushnell scopes than Tangent Theta. I don't believe anyone on this forum actually would choose a bushnell over a TT if they were offered the choice for free. Also IOR Valdada showes up second from the bottom. Again not really reflecting the quality of the scope but more so the availability.

Mine is 30 lbs...empty 10 shot mag, if they made 10 lb scope....that's the one I'd buy!!!!! I painted mine in hopes our Prime Minister wouldn't be afraid of it anymore....black guns scare him!
Nice lol.. the USA is heading that way . unless we pony up and protect our freedoms they will disappear

The chart doesn't necessarily show which scope is better. For example, the chart shows more people using Bushnell scopes than Tangent Theta. I don't believe anyone on this forum actually would choose a bushnell over a TT if they were offered the choice for free. Also IOR Valdada showes up second from the bottom. Again not really reflecting the quality of the scope but more so the availability.
I know I wouldn't turn down any FREE SCOPE! Especially a Valdada! Only reason I don't own a Valdada is I can't find the free one!

I've been waiting over a year and a half for my 50 and I'm hoping that it might get delivered sometime around the two year mark. Interestingly, I also chose the Vortex Razor for my build (with a Spuhr mount). I have no doubt that it can take the punishment.

However, while waiting, I started to revisit some of my research and that led me to buy a Zero Compromise 5-27 x 56. I realize that this scope isn't in the OP's budget, but what a scope! When my 50 arrives, one will go on it and the other will go on my PRS rifle. Either way, I don't think I can go wrong!

PS: Here's why a good scope is required. I'm pretty sure this is an AS50. Be sure to watch the barrel reaction at the very end of this short video:

Last edited:
I've been waiting over a year and a half for my 50 and I'm hoping that it might get delivered sometime around the two year mark. Interestingly, I also chose the Vortex Razor for my build (with a Spuhr mount). I have no doubt that it can take the punishment.

However, while waiting, I started to revisit some of my research and that led me to buy a Zero Compromise 5-27 x 56. I realize that this scope isn't in the OP's budget, but what a scope! When my 50 arrives, one will go on it and the other will go on my PRS rifle. Either way, I don't think I can go wrong!

PS: Here's why a good scope is required. I'm pretty sure this is an AS50. Be sure to watch the barrel reaction at the very end of this short video:

Yeah I would love to try one of those zero Compromise scopes if my budget ever cooperates.

Unbelievable how much that scope tube flexes and the base moves.

I'm probably going to get laughed at here but they were good scopes yrs ago still have 2. But what about a Hi-Lux scope? Would it hold up on a 50 BMG? That I'm not sure of?

@Jdr9941 : You didn't say which model(s) you have, but the Hi-Lux tactical models look like they should be able to take it. Unfortunately, the only real way to know is to try it. IIRC, typical g loads at the scope are usually something like 300gs. Interestingly, the source of many scope failures used to be the forward thrust impulse from the muzzle brake. However, with more and more rifles being equipped with brakes, scopes are now better designed to tolerate those loads. So if your scopes are of relatively recent vintage, I'd hazard a guess that you're probably OK...