50 BMG Barrel life?

long450

For those shooting 50 BMG target rifles, what kind of barrel life are you getting. I would like to know what brand and twist barrel with which powder and what bullet.

Way, way, way too wide open. Because of the dramatically larger size of the .50 BMG cartridge, its a whole new world.

Most folks on this and most other shooting forums are shooting well under .50 BMG. Suggest that you become a member of FCSA and then get on the Members Only Forum - http://fcsa.org/members/ Actually, you may be able to get access without membership...but get called for not being a member. They also have a sub-forum for those new to 50s, called, amazingly, "New to Fifties".

I did not find any significant differences in the 50 BMGs barrel life. the bullet weight to powder and velocity is not that much different from other cartridges.

Heat is the only real difference because of the amount of powder used and would be my concern.

J E CUSTOM

It's going to depend on the barrel. Some of them have actual Ma-deuce barrels, most don't. An M2 barrel, on an M2 is good for 20,000 or better. but I figure even if the thing is only good for say, 1,000 rounds, it will still have 90% of it's life left when I leave it to my son in 25 years... 'cause i have shot a lot of .50BMG, and i don't want to shoot no .50BMG rifle..lol esp that little jobber that goes on an AR receiver..

Scammer...stay away from hunterslife72. Not only does he scam, but now he plagiarizes.

The math would indicate differently, so I'm posting it up for consideration.

Cartridge overbore index ratio comparison:

Cartridge Case capacity bore area overbore ratio
26 Nosler 99 .05723 1730
28 Nosler 99 .06261 1581
50BMG 300 .20093 1493
7/300 WM 92 .06261 1470
300 Norma 104 .07335 1418
30 Nosler 97 .07335 1322
300 WM 94 .07335 1282
338 LM 113 .08813 1282
30-06 68 .07335 927

Search cartridge overbore calculation for more.

To find your cartridge's overbore index ratio:
(Not sure why I'm typing this, no one will probably do it.. it's MATH!! LOL!)

Measure the water volume in grains of a fired case from your rifle, or if already known, (google is your friend, Chuck hawk's lists some common capacities) use that value.

If the caliber of your cartridge happens to be one of the above, use the number under the heading "bore area" for your caliber. If you've got this number, you can skip to the bottom. ***

If not, Whip out your calculator, or app on your phone.

Use the diameter of your bore to find the radius of your bore. R=D/2 (so divide the diameter of your bore by 2, resulting number is the radius of your bore.)

Then use the formula for area of a circle to find the bore area, which is A=pi x (RxR)
Spoken, this formula is stated:

Area equals pi R squared

First multiply your bore radius times itself, multiply that times pi, the product is the area of your bore.

*** Now, divide the case capacity number by the area number. The quotient is your overbore index ratio.

The math would indicate differently, so I'm posting it up for consideration.

Cartridge overbore index ratio comparison:

Cartridge Case capacity bore area overbore ratio
26 Nosler 99 .05723 1730
28 Nosler 99 .06261 1581
50BMG 300 .20093 1493
7/300 WM 92 .06261 1470
300 Norma 104 .07335 1418
30 Nosler 97 .07335 1322
300 WM 94 .07335 1282
338 LM 113 .08813 1282
30-06 68 .07335 927

Search cartridge overbore calculation for more.

To find your cartridge's overbore index ratio:
(Not sure why I'm typing this, no one will probably do it.. it's MATH!! LOL!)

Measure the water volume in grains of a fired case from your rifle, or if already known, (google is your friend, Chuck hawk's lists some common capacities) use that value.

If the caliber of your cartridge happens to be one of the above, use the number under the heading "bore area" for your caliber. If you've got this number, you can skip to the bottom. ***

If not, Whip out your calculator, or app on your phone.

Use the diameter of your bore to find the radius of your bore. R=D/2 (so divide the diameter of your bore by 2, resulting number is the radius of your bore.)

Then use the formula for area of a circle to find the bore area, which is A=pi x (RxR)
Spoken, this formula is stated:

Area equals pi R squared

First multiply your bore radius times itself, multiply that times pi, the product is the area of your bore.

*** Now, divide the case capacity number by the area number. The quotient is your overbore index ratio.
Wow....all that being said...what is the English short version...what effect is overbore on barrel life please?

Way, way, way too wide open. Because of the dramatically larger size of the .50 BMG cartridge, its a whole new world.

Most folks on this and most other shooting forums are shooting well under .50 BMG. Suggest that you become a member of FCSA and then get on the Members Only Forum - http://fcsa.org/members/ Actually, you may be able to get access without membership...but get called for not being a member. They also have a sub-forum for those new to 50s, called, amazingly, "New to Fifties".
Might want to speak for yourself here.You may be surprised by how many of us shoot 50's.....And an ELR site is definitely where to talk 50's...

Might want to speak for yourself here.You may be surprised by how many of us shoot 50's.....And an ELR site is definitely where to talk 50's...
Yes. I missed this thread when it first started, or I would have made a similar comment. While I don't have a 50 now, over the years, I have used a Barret 82, an AR50, and had loan of a friend's bolt gun. Back then, we used them for 2,000 yard shooting at 55gal drums, car doors or similar sizes. I still have about 14# of 50 cal mil surplus powder in the shop, and if I remember correctly, its burn rate was similar to US869. In the later 90's, I bought these in 4x8# jugs for 32# per case for just under $100 each. Those were the days.

Yes. I missed this thread when it first started, or I would have made a similar comment. While I don't have a 50 now, over the years, I have used a Barret 82, an AR50, and had loan of a friend's bolt gun. Back then, we used them for 2,000 yard shooting at 55gal drums, car doors or similar sizes. I still have about 14# of 50 cal mil surplus powder in the shop, and if I remember correctly, its burn rate was similar to US869. In the later 90's, I bought these in 4x8# jugs for 32# per case for just under $100 each. Those were the days.
Yes I missed it too until this morning! And those were the days...put the powder on GUN Broker...you'll be a gazillionare! 🤣

I guess I posted my questions on 50 BMG reloading yesterday in the wrong place, in "Reloading". I got no response so thought there were not many 50 bmg shooters here. I am a menber of FCSA. Never got the Members Only tab to work.

Last edited: