50 Alaskan

Lapuatom

I have a gun that originally was a Marlin guide gun, in 45-70. It was shipped to a Smith and bored out to end up being a 50 Alaskan. Looking to try reloading for it but not sure about the bullet diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

The 50 Alaskan uses .510 bullets. You'll find a better selection of cast bullets than jacketed, and even then your options are a little limited.

Here is the first link google gave me in a 50 alaskan search: https://www.shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/50-alaskan/
That round begs for cast bullets. Several great casters are online selling nearly anything you may need. Several mould makers will make the same. I recommend Montana Bullet Works for cast bullets and LBT or NOE for moulds. PM me if you need more help with cast.

I have a gun that originally was a Marlin guide gun, in 45-70. It was shipped to a Smith and bored out to end up being a 50 Alaskan. Looking to try reloading for it but not sure about the bullet diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.
I had a Win Mod 71 .348 Win for a while and wanted to pushing it out to a .50 Alaskan was one of the things I kinda wanted to do, but .. some guy offered me just too many frogskins and I couldn't turn it down. When I was in Alaska, Anchorage looking for a great bar called; Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse, I found a gun shop/smith who specialized in the .50 Alaskan. So, I'd say google search some of the shop's-smith up there and I'd bet they might be able to help you find a load(s) and answer your question(s). Just a thought, I'd give you the name but I just don't remember it. Good Luck

Last edited:
Check out Barnes Bullets originals for your 50 cal lever gun