50,40, and 30-yd. prairie dog kills

sscoyote

Went out yesterday and got 3 out of about 20 shots with my new system on an old bow (Mathews Z-Max 55 lb.). Used some of the Wal-Mart special el cheapo arrows (Wolverines) and they're spot on. The 30-yd. kill was about a 1" tgt. believe it or not, just barely peeking above his mound from the lower part of his eye up. Wasn't even gonna try it but i thought, what the heck. Arrow made a "schlup" sound and didn't sail over the top. I blinked a couple times and thought i saw a tawny-looking bump about the middle of the arrow--sure enuf--

50--

IMG_0619.jpg

40--

IMG_0621.jpg

30 head--

IMG_0623.jpg

I'm using 50-gr. field points from Easton for a bit lighter system and a blunt tip (the 30+40-yarder) made from an 8-32x1" machine screw/lock washers for adjusting the weight close to the field points--works great.

Last edited:
Thks. pard! Man u need to get out there and do it some. I saw a dentist buddy of mine once shoot his 1st 1 at 40 yds. years ago. He was running around jubilant like a kid. With the newer faster carbons it really makes it fun. I'm running about 15% hits 30-50 yds. A better shooter could do better, i'm sure.

Congrats for the great shooting!!!
That is taking the sport to the edge, very coooooool. Great kills at those ranges to such a little target.
Thanks for posting.

JTG, believe it or not he wasn't dead. I think the arrow missed the brain cavity, and i had to finish the job. I couldn't believe it either as hard as that arrow must've hit with my blunt tip on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.