5 Years In The Making....

Joel Russo

Gents~

The inception of this build took place on the last hunt with my good friend, Phil. Phil was a member here and has since passed away. Our last hunt together was a sheep/moose/grizz hunt in the Wrangell Mountains of Alaska. Phil had his .338 RUM and I carried both his and my rifle on more than a few sheep stalks. After listening to me bitch constantly for fourteen days, he told me to build myself a light weight carry rifle with a nice piece of wood under it.

He actually built it over and over in his head as we glassed the river drainage for bears one day. He told me to use that exotic African wood that I liked so much. He told me to make the barreled action black so that the stock would stand out. And he even was nice enough to tell me that it didn't matter how nice it looked, it wouldn't be worth a **** if it didn't shoot well. He had a way with words.

Brilliant idea I thought. So upon my return home from the hunt, I pulled an action out of the safe and ordered a barrel. Gave all the parts to my good friend Baer, and asked him to chamber me another .308 Baer. He did, and that barreled action sat on my bench for a few years. I just could never seem to find time to work on my own stuff.

Time passed, and so did Phil. It took me quite a long time to clear my head from his passing. In that time, I found the motivation to complete the project that he had conceived. So off to work I went.... I pulled a nice piece of flat sawn pomelle Bubinga that I had on the pile. I purchased a whole log of this stuff years back. I drew on it, cut it, then laminated it together. I thought about installing cross bolts, inletting sling studs, cutting in an adjustable cheek piece and some other fancy additions, but I didn't want to make this stock resemble a hardware store. So, I kept it simple.

After many hours of hard work, I finally finished the project. The only thing left to do is to send it off to my checkering guru for some classic checkering.

If my good friend, Phil were to see his vision turn reality, I'm sure he would be pleased. I think I captured what he had in his mind that day we were glassing bears on the river banks…..

Started with this.

IMG_2725_zpsd765d076.jpg

Cut it to the stock dimensions, then glued it together.

IMG_2746_zpse5e95016.jpg

Inletted it top and bottom.

IMG_0148_zpsddcd6a94.jpg

Profiled it.

IMG_0425_zpsc929e60a.jpg

Hand fitted barrel and bottom metal.

joel88_zps6e034115.jpg

IMG_0455_zpsfae268e5.jpg

Bedded it.

joel33_zpsec1f452c.jpg

IMG_0449_zpsbc08807c.jpg

IMG_0448_zpse1a9477c.jpg

I made myself a center feed mag box out of billet aluminum.

magbox_zpsb8e69ec1.jpg

boxonaction_zps940b4f64.jpg

Load development..

baersporter_zpsb14dc3ec.jpg

IMG_0492_zpsb3fdff62.jpg

Hand rubbed tung oil finish.

joelbub_zps207b5b34.jpg

Finished product.

bo2_zps61de192f.jpg

Where it all started....

glassingbears_zps37ee0044.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the story Joel, I can only begin to imagine how much that rifle means to you. Your friend would be proud! Beautiful wood.

Next pic needs to include a nice trophy.

t

The rifle is awsome looking! And the story only adds! But you're not done yet. There is one more picture that needs to be taken and that is one of this rifle laying on a trophy; hopefully someplace you and Phil hunted.

The rifle is awsome looking! And the story only adds! But you're not done yet. There is one more picture that needs to be taken and that is one of this rifle laying on a trophy; hopefully someplace you and Phil hunted.

How true. This story really hit home for me in that I was part of a camp that had a wall tent set up in same place for 30+ years. We just spread my hunting partners ashes on a meadow this past July up on the mountain even though he left us two years ago.

Said my final good bye that day to him and I thought the camp site. My hunting partners son called me a couple weeks ago out of the clear blue and asked if I'd pack into the camp again and keep it going.

I guess time is a good healer in that I didn't even have to think about it.

I know my partners son is going to be packing an old pre64 mod 70 in .270 that has taken more elk than you could even imagine.

To find a good hunting partner is a miracle, to find two is impossible.

That is one fine weapon - pack it with pride, your old partner will be smiling.

Man, what a stick you and Phil created there. I am sure he is smiling Joel, but not as much as he will be when you take it on the first hunt as he watches over.

Great read and a rifle to be very proud of for all the right reasons.

Jeff

Joel, have you named her yet??
Anything that pretty has to have a name. What a piece of art and history. Wow. As someone who has a couple of Phil's rifles, I can somewhat feel what all this means to you.
Congrats---you should be proud.

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.