5 X 6 Muley down! Thanks for all the posts.

Eyemakecalls2

Guy, I just wanted to chime in. Saying thank you for the many post through out the last few years. I've learned a ton. I shot my 1st Idaho buck in unit 39. It was a 1008 yard shot. I held 24.5" for 7-8 mph wind and 240" for bullet drop. It was 1.75 miles to pack it out and 3000 feet up hike. 5 person crew. We found it at about 1pm the next day and we were packed out and home just past dark. I'm so excited. It's a 5x6 and my personal best.
Screenshot_20211107-200219.png
Screenshot_20211107-200319.png

Sweet buck!

Not sure what you mean by you found it at 1 pm the next day did you shoot it the night b4?

Also, what's the handgun for:)?

I like what looks to be a pocket on your left arm for a LRF. Who made it?
Shot it about 35 minutes before sundown. It turned and faced me. Wobbling. Figured I'd die right there if we left it over night. I didn't have a Shot at 1008 yards. Best to look in the morning. The buck traveled in the night about 120 yards laterally. We first looked in the draw next to it. Had to go back to where I'd taken the shot. Realizing we were looking in the wrong draw we soon found it. It was very difficult to get to. The handgun. Was my second choice but also I always wear it as I am a bear hunter. We also have wolves. The talon strap swivel broke on my rifle. While I was on the quad. My rifle hit the ground. When we went back I stopped and dropped it off. It couldn't be relied on. The pocket holds my rangefinder just right. They are military issue.

Last edited:
What cartridge and bullet?
338 Lapua, 300 Sierra Match king. 2808 fps. When I bought my Lapua, I really wanted a 300 PRC. I couldnt find brass, dies, bullets, anything for it. I could find everything for 338 LM. So I went with it. I do think it did a great job. The shot hit just back. I didn't hold enough wind. Scrubbed both lungs & liver. Right on for height. The exit hole was slightly bigger than a quarter. But, the one hole was actually three smaller holes. The bullet was breaking up. It did it's job perfectly.

Last edited:
Good bullet and round!

You mentioned a 5 person crew, was that friends and fam or were you guided?

338 Lapua, 300 Sierra Match king. 2808 fps. When I bought my Lapua, I really wanted a 300 PRC. I couldnt find brass, dies, bullets, anything for it. I could find everything for 338 LM. So I went with it. I do think it did a great job. The shot hit just back. I didn't hold enough wind. Scrubbed both lungs & liver. Right on for height. The exit hole was slightly bigger than a quarter. But, the one hole was actually three smaller holes. The bullet was breaking up. It did it's job perfectly.
EXCELLENT!