5 r milspec 300 win mag rebarrel

srlamy

Looking for some guidance from more experienced Shooter/Rifle builders. I have a 700 5r 300 win mag w/factory barrel that will not shoot well at all. the gun was bedded in bell and carlson stock the exact same way by a skilled gun smith. I have a 308 5r that is well under a .5 moa with my hand loads. The 308 is all I can expect.
I bought a 300 win mag 700 5r so I can go past 1300 yards. These are my paper punchers/ steel target rifles, not my hunting rifle. Long story short my 300 wm does not shoot well at all. I use RWS brass and match primers in my hand loads and my partner has a duplicate 5r. I understand each weapon is different and what works for one may not work in another. I my compadre's 300wm 5r my loads shoot 2moa at 100 yards at the worst and the last test load shot 3 shots at 200 yards you can cover with a quarter. My rifle shoots all over the place, no rhyme or reason its vertical and horizontal dispersion are all over the place.

I have loaded the 215 hybrid bergers (which are supposedly not depth sensative) and the 208 amax. It has a 1/10 twist which should stabilze both rounds. After 3 months of load development I was able to put 5 208 amax's into a .82 moa group. It was 76 grains of h1000 seated 8k of the lands. The same load 15k off the lands is a 5 inch group at 100. I have matching vortex razor 5-20 scopes and swapped them to eliminate a scope issue.

I have had other guys shot the rifle to eliminate shooter error and they get the same results. I have done the ladder test and saw no nodes. I am wondering if this was the last barrel cut with the reamers and its flawed? I'm frustrated to the point of having a custom barrel installed. The barrel has 274 rounds down the tube. any advice would be welcome and any referals to a smith or shop to rebarrel with a high end barrel are welcome. Thanks

How many powders have you tried in it?? Have you tried other bullet weights than the 200+ grain range?? I've seen a couple 300 wins that'll get super finicky, but that's the exception. If you've only tried Hodgdon then you ought to try rl or ramshot with a 180 - 200 before you give up on the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts