5.7x28 load, dies, issues?

105Coues

Just wondering if anyone was loading for this? I have only talked to one guy and he said he tried it but the case necks were so thin they would become damaged at seating. If anyone is can you chime in about dies, loads and any issues that you may have had? Thanks in advance!

Tagging as well. I've heard about hair spray being used as a coating in the past for some reason.... Havent been shooting any of mine due to the cost of replacement.

Thanks Philip. I did look at that after a search for posts. Sounds like kind of a mess.....

If it was strictly bolt gun use it should work fine. The shoulder is pushed forward quite a bit when fired in the auto loaders . F n said years ago they were going to come out with a bolt gun and I hoped it would be the browning micro as that rifle was already made in the 22 hornet. Different bolt head and magazine to accommodate it would have been all that was necessary .

I went down that rabbit hole at one point, but ended up chickening out before I started loading for it. It's just too risky of a proposition for a semi, and if you are loading for a bolt gun there are better mouse traps.

Also started reloading them a couple years ago. After realizing the semi pistols pushed the shoulder back every bit of 0.020", tried only bumping the shoulder 0.005" to reduce working the brass and they would not load. Did some reading and decided this is a dangerous cartage to reload. Shoulder moving 0.020" each time, means only 1 or 2 reloads per case and even then, safety is in question.

I stopped reloading. As others have said, for a bolt gun, might give it another try.

I have reloaded using the Hornady 40 grain VMax and they have worked well except about 10% stick (not the bullet, just the case) in both my FN hand gun and the PS90. I am still trying to determine what the coating is that is used to prevent the sticking. I believe it is a thin coat of Teflon that is sprayed on. Plan on sending it to a lab to get a precise answer on material and thickness. It has become too expensive to keep on buying new ($.87 ea.), so I am saving that stash for necessary use and use my reloads for plinking. I have learned that the use of a shell holder with no hole for decapping is necessary to keep from shoving the case thru the decapping hole when sizing. There is a lot of force being applied on the base with hardly any material in the head to support it.

I got the dies, but haven't done anything with them presently. I haven't even fired the pistol yet. So hard to get the ammo of them. Expensive too. z I am waiting for the ammo to come down to get my hand on a larger amount before shooting the pistol. The price on the ammo is cheaper than what I have seen it for. Generally over a $1 per round.
I generally only use a decapping die to remove the primers to start with. Being that's a small pistol primer, Are you using the correct de-primering rod? I also realize they are a small case, and long. The other is check your setting on your sizing die. It kind of sound like the die isn't set up correctly. Lube maybe not enough or not covering the case to resize it. Sorry I can't help anymore than that.