5.56 NATO reloading help

To summarize:

Use white box primers or equivalent because service rifles can bump fire.

I've also never had a ND bump fire.
I have over ten thousand white box primers I am just dipping into. Had them since Y2K. If I had any Fed 205 left I'd still be using them.

I've always built rifle length gas tubes and piston rifles. Because they experience less gas tube pressure you can use lighter buffer tube springs and weights. so the BCG isn't slammed forward as hard. From Adams arms I bought firing pin springs. about 5 bucks each. small light weight spring that actually holds the firing pin back.

I also have never had a slam fire in any semi auto

If you start adding up how many rounds people have fired through AR15s, how many were with primers that were not CCI41 or similar, and the handful of slam-fire stories floating around, I am not even sure it's worth worrying about. We talking millions, tens of millions??

It's more of an issue with the new WSR or the Remington primers I think. One of the two although I've never had it happen with wsr primers. One person was concerned for his kids, which is fine and even prudent. But honestly primer sealant found on many types of ammo can cause slam fires by getting into firing pin/ striker channels. If having a firearm doing a double, triple tap, or going full auto is a concern then a person probably shouldn't shoot semi autos. Or at least get training on what to do if a firearm goes full auto.

I have a had a lot more success with 77 gr. HPBT bullets than with SMKs. Not sure why but tried the SMK with high expectations and was disappointed with the results.

One thing is you have to be realistic with ARs, they are not the same as bolt guns when in comes to accuracy, touching the lands etc. Also you have to worry about dirt in the chamber and cycling and such.

That being said I don't ever do load development for just one AR, I start with one, but then run the "pet load" through all my other guns and my brother's guns. This is because I don't see the value in having a load that shoots 1/2 moa in just one rifle and that was just one day on the bench.
No, I want a load the shoots consistently 1.5moa out of ALL guns and 1moa in the best guns. If it shoots 2-2.5 moa in designated "ditch guns" I'm happy.
Remember that the Army's standard for the M4A1 is 4moa for the rifle and 6moa for the rifle/shooter combined.
(An 18" man sized target is 6moa at 300yards)

All that being said,

Powders I had luck with:
AA2520
PP2000MR

Nice bullets
Hornady 68g BTHP (good in everything and more affordable that SMK or TMK)
Hornady 62g BTHP (only available from midsouth)good battle accurate CHEAP bullet, great for making more accurate non steel core clone M855 (pair with AA2520 or similar for best results)

Varget worked okay, but tried h4895 and am getting the best results by far. Gonna roll with that with the 69gr smk. Need to fiddle around with the 77smk yet. Was gonna start with benchmark I think
Check out Jonneysrelodingbench on YouTube he has a video on this and gets 1/2-3/4moa consistently out of the 77g SMK and AA2520

Hi good people. When it comes to AR15's, there are basically 2 stand out powders.
Benchmark
AR-Comp
Then everything else.
These 2 stand out because they perform well from 50 grain all the way to 77 grain bullets with good SD, ES, and velocity.
Here is some good loads with BM, comparing to pretty much the best load for 77 grain bullets I am aware of, which is around 23.8-24 grains of SW PR using berger or SMK.
Benchmark
AR Comp

If I was to buy 1 powder for 223, and that's it. It would be Benchmark or AR Comp.
AR Comp is essentially Reloder 12. Basically, with 77 grain bullet, you have max charge of 22.8. With H4895, you have max charge of near the same, and Benchmark max charge is basically the same as AR Comp at 22.8.

Let me tell you folks, AR Comp and Benchmark give more or same performance for same very similar pressure to H4895 and Benchmark has superior case fill characteristics. test after test shows similar charge, BM and AR Comp compared to H4895 is similar/more performance in Velocity, but more accurate.

So back to AR Comp. its basically Reloder 12 thats temp stable, meant to be in same category as H4895, designed to compete with it. Take RL15 Temp sensitive. AR Comp is temp stable. So look at it....RL15 max charge 77 grain is around 23.8, AR Comp is 22.8. So if you came out with RL13.5, it would have max charge around 23.3. Not significant enough because you can go slightly higher pressure and achieve same thing. So to us H4895 is obsolete, you would use BM or AR Comp instead. (in 223)

If you ask me, what is better is if you have a Benchmark/Varget type size powder, with those case fill characteristics, which is similar to RL15, but its TEMP STABLE. So slightly smaller grains, and temp stable, that is max charge around 23.8 for 77 grain, and you got a world beater.

Wait a second. That is Varget and SW Precision Rifle. LOL it already exists. haha. OH, and VV N140.

Have a good day fellas, wish you all well.

Hi good people. When it comes to AR15's, there are basically 2 stand out powders.
Benchmark
AR-Comp
Then everything else.
These 2 stand out because they perform well from 50 grain all the way to 77 grain bullets with good SD, ES, and velocity.
Here is some good loads with BM, comparing to pretty much the best load for 77 grain bullets I am aware of, which is around 23.8-24 grains of SW PR using berger or SMK.
Benchmark
AR Comp

If I was to buy 1 powder for 223, and that's it. It would be Benchmark or AR Comp.
AR Comp is essentially Reloder 12. Basically, with 77 grain bullet, you have max charge of 22.8. With H4895, you have max charge of near the same, and Benchmark max charge is basically the same as AR Comp at 22.8.

Let me tell you folks, AR Comp and Benchmark give more or same performance for same very similar pressure to H4895 and Benchmark has superior case fill characteristics. test after test shows similar charge, BM and AR Comp compared to H4895 is similar/more performance in Velocity, but more accurate.

So back to AR Comp. its basically Reloder 12 thats temp stable, meant to be in same category as H4895, designed to compete with it. Take RL15 Temp sensitive. AR Comp is temp stable. So look at it....RL15 max charge 77 grain is around 23.8, AR Comp is 22.8. So if you came out with RL13.5, it would have max charge around 23.3. Not significant enough because you can go slightly higher pressure and achieve same thing. So to us H4895 is obsolete, you would use BM or AR Comp instead. (in 223)

If you ask me, what is better is if you have a Benchmark/Varget type size powder, with those case fill characteristics, which is similar to RL15, but its TEMP STABLE. So slightly smaller grains, and temp stable, that is max charge around 23.8 for 77 grain, and you got a world beater.

Wait a second. That is Varget and SW Precision Rifle. LOL it already exists. haha. OH, and VV N140.

I've heard since starting this thread but haven't tried it, I'm using benchmark, that xbr 8208 is the best for 223 ar loading?

Benchmark
AR-Comp
Then everything else.
Benchmark
AR Comp

So there's a new powder of the month?

My 223 ARs run 55s...never could get the heavier bullets to shoot well in the 9,8,7 twist barrels.
The easy fix if you want to run something heavier is to add a 6.5 Grendel upper!

Recent Posts