5.56 NATO reloading help

Canhunter35

I've got an 8twist 5.56 NATO been fiddling with some 69tmks, tried cfe223, never really found good accuracy, factory loads are better lol. Loaded up varget from 24-25.5gr in .5gr intervals to try, I have some 77tmk coming, was thinking of using benchmark, just looking for some tips on these bullets if anyone has experience with them

I have been shooting the heavier Nosler bullets. I have been getting great accuracy with AR-Comp.

I know I'm shooting different slugs but I'm trying to suggest trying AR-Comp. I load it in 5.56NATO, 6.5 Grendel and in 308 Winchester and it works well.

When I first purchased my first AR I bought a bunch of different bullets and brands varying in weights. I bought different powders and would load all of them in batches of five and different combinations. I have a 1/8 twist on my AR and found out it only like heavy 75gr. Hornady BTHP superformance bullets with RL15 powder giving the tightest 5 shot submoa group at 200 yards. Now I only stock up on RL15 powder and 75gr. bullets for this AR. So don't give up and keep trying different loads and bullets, eventually the rifle will tell you what she likes.

When I first purchased my first AR I bought a bunch of different bullets and brands varying in weights. I bought different powders and would load all of them in batches of five and different combinations. I have a 1/8 twist on my AR and found out it only like heavy 75gr. Hornady BTHP superformance bullets with RL15 powder giving the tightest 5 shot submoa group at 200 yards. Now I only stock up on RL15 powder and 75gr. bullets for this AR. So don't give up and keep trying different loads and bullets, eventually the rifle will tell you what she likes.

Dude I spit my beer out when I read you forum name! I had my buddy's son out to our place (he's from PA) and me and my family took him with us to Glacier NP to do some hiking. Super long story short- didn't know the boy had a phobia about crapping anywhere but his own bathroom. He held his bowels for almost A WEEK. So we were on a trail near many Glacier that had multiple Griz sightings and this kid literally blew his shorts off with a massive BM- on the trail! He didn't know how to crap outside, he didn't know how to clean himself with stream water- He was literally covered in **** head to toe (don't ask me how).

We hot footed back to the trailhead cause bears like sweet and sour smells. I got the kid cleaned up in a bathroom and put him in the truck with a blanket. We went into the trading post at Many Glacier and the ONLY shorts they had were little purple girl shorts with a comic looking bear in a hucklberry patch that said "I'm your Huckleberry". That's what he had to wear!! 😆

I had poor results with cfe223 and the 69tmk, used varget and it was much better. The 62 and 55 factory ammo I've used has shot really well so I'm thinking it'll be a bit of matching powder to bullet

From my personal experience for what it's worth all other variables the same or different my success loading for my AR the powder has been the the biggest factor. Like said previously the gun will tell you what it wants best. IMO if you have a particular bullet and no luck making it work keep trying different powders and you'll find one that it likes.

RE-15 is a good choice. So is 748 for 62-69gr projectiles. Tac reportedly works well. IMR 8208 XBR will get ya there with 69-77gr bullets. It's my go-to powder for speed and accuracy.

Last edited:
Super long story short-- didn't know the boy had a phobia about crapping anywhere but his own bathroom. He held his bowels for almost A WEEK.
That can be deadly. The levels of toxins build in the body and if refuse is not excreted, dire health circumstances can result. My guess is the kid learned it at home to not extrude anywhere but on his own throne. If that be so, his parents really done him wrong...

That can be deadly. The levels of toxins build in the body and if refuse is not excreted, dire health circumstances can result. My guess is the kid learned it at home to not extrude anywhere but on his own throne. If that be so, his parents really done him wrong...
The amount of excrement this kid blew out and all over himself was a dire emergency. We were on a trail in a very active griz area. The dude had crap in his ears, hair, backpack, on his back.. I have no idea how he managed all that..

Anyway kid had deeper mental health issues that came to light slightly later in his childhood.

Anyway- I have a .223 AR that I currently don't load for. I've enjoyed reading this thread and will consider some of the powder recommendations. I have Varget and RE-15 on hand so that's good.

I've had very good results with benchmark and lighter bullets. Haven't used it much for heavies but I'd expect it to be quite consistent for you. Because its small sticks it doesn't meter great. I recommend trickling out on a scale if you're after the most consistency.

I did a post on 75 gr bthp. 2000-mr is about the best powder for anything over 62 grain. Also 75 gr. is about the upper limit on 223/5.56 cases and Ar's limited to about 2.26 AOL