5-25x or 7-32 ?

Axis007

Hi Guys, new on the forum. I currently shot a .50BMG with Nightforce 5.5-22 NSX Scope. And a .338 Lapua with a NF 5-25x ATACR. I am in the process of buying a .375 CT, I like to ask the experts here if the 5-25x is enough magnification or 7-32x is better, I plan to shoot over 2000yards,

Depends what is your target. Once you get over 16X is most conditions, haze, mirage, dust usually screw things up. The military 50s carry Schmidts -----

I own both and prefer the 7-35 love the extra magnification and never use the low end on my big guns.

5-25x is more than enough. I have both the 5-25 and 7-35, I got the 7-35 for a 338 build just like what you're doing. Joke's on me, both scopes spend 95% of their time in that 15-18x range due to mirage and opening up the field-of-view to spot trace. The only time I go to the upper levels of magnification is when I shoot 100 yd groups for zero'ing, and even then it's not really needed. Probably could've saved myself a good chunk of change and gone with the 4-16 ATACR's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.