5,000 fps coyote rifle?

codyadams

I know the "light and fast" isn't the best method for extreme long range, but that isn't what this is about. This is about hitting 5000 fps or dang close for having the farthest possible aim on fur range. Also, getting stupid fast speeds, just because. I would like to discuss how to get to 5000 fps. Also, I know it has already been done. Also, I know that barrel life will likely be 500-700 rounds. Maybe even less. Don't care. This also isn't going to be a 1000 yard rifle with these light bullets. I want 400+ yards of coyote point blank range, the more the better. I'm going to develop a load, zero it, and every shot fired after that will hopefully kill a coyote. Now that we got that out of the way....

In the coyote hunting I have done, if I have missed a shot it was for one of two reasons. Either I misjudged the range and hit high/low using my .223, or it took me too long trying to range a dog and put the dope in my rifle, and they moved off. The best results I have had has been with my 22-250 using 40 grain v-max pills around 4000 fps, zeroed at 300 yards, I could aim on fur out to about 350 or so on a dog. I would like to make that even farther.

This will be with a 22 cal, I think going up to 6mm will require a good bit more cartridge to get there, and going town to 20 cal or 17 takes away some energy potential. I want to use the 44 grain hammer hunter, as a mono it should hold together just fine and will do a number to coyotes. I plan on HBN coating these, maybe squeeze a little more speed out and hopefully improve the already short barrel life.

My initial thought is a 22-243 improved, quality brass is plentiful. But then I figured, it would be easier to put together a 22-284 and get a little more capacity, but would that even be big enough? Possibly a 22-284 improved? With proper powders and a 30" barrel of the proper twist, would 5,000 fps be attainable with an HBN coated 44 grain hammer?

What are thoughts? Any other ideas on how to get a 44 grain pill to 5,000 fps?

I know the "light and fast" isn't the best method for extreme long range, but that isn't what this is about. This is about hitting 5000 fps or dang close for having the farthest possible aim on fur range. Also, getting stupid fast speeds, just because. I would like to discuss how to get to 5000 fps. Also, I know it has already been done. Also, I know that barrel life will likely be 500-700 rounds. Maybe even less. Don't care. This also isn't going to be a 1000 yard rifle with these light bullets. I want 400+ yards of coyote point blank range, the more the better. I'm going to develop a load, zero it, and every shot fired after that will hopefully kill a coyote. Now that we got that out of the way....

In the coyote hunting I have done, if I have missed a shot it was for one of two reasons. Either I misjudged the range and hit high/low using my .223, or it took me too long trying to range a dog and put the dope in my rifle, and they moved off. The best results I have had has been with my 22-250 using 40 grain v-max pills around 4000 fps, zeroed at 300 yards, I could aim on fur out to about 350 or so on a dog. I would like to make that even farther.

This will be with a 22 cal, I think going up to 6mm will require a good bit more cartridge to get there, and going town to 20 cal or 17 takes away some energy potential. I want to use the 44 grain hammer hunter, as a mono it should hold together just fine and will do a number to coyotes. I plan on HBN coating these, maybe squeeze a little more speed out and hopefully improve the already short barrel life.

My initial thought is a 22-243 improved, quality brass is plentiful. But then I figured, it would be easier to put together a 22-284 and get a little more capacity, but would that even be big enough? Possibly a 22-284 improved? With proper powders and a 30" barrel of the proper twist, would 5,000 fps be attainable with an HBN coated 44 grain hammer?

What are thoughts? Any other ideas on how to get a 44 grain pill to 5,000 fps?
22 max! call me if you want

You're on the right track with mono's.

You might need a heavier bullet in the bigger cases to get the pressure curve consistent.

4000 fps is kind of where I think the "demon" lives.

I think it will take more case capacity than those listed.

500 rounds would be optimistic.

Might be a job for someone with Quickload.

I'm guessing you don't really care about the practicality... sounds interesting though.

I am excited for this one! I hope you go with the 22 max that would be sweet! @elkaholic whats the case capacity on a 22 Max?

I did a 22 cheetah and got 4260fps with a 52 grain bullet. Barrel life was 800 rounds but that was years ago. With the new powders and technology I would think you could get close to another 100-200fps but finding a bullet to hold up was the big issue. Most bullets exploded about 10 feet from the barrel.

22 max! call me if you want
We talked about this a few months ago too ha ha what about a 22 ss? With the light short bullets, would a 22 max fit in a Savage short action (2.975" OAL)? The bullets are little, so they won't stick much out of the case mouth. I only ask because I have one laying around I'm doing nothing with at the moment....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.