5,000 fps coyote rifle?

I think Steve at Hammer bullets could make a bullet that you could either blow one in half OR just have it open a little.
You may have an issue even with monos as you can have a bullet slip the rifling since they don't slug up.
I've found that some of cals for ARs like the 6.8/270 or 300 blackout have led to some light bullets for magnum coyote splitting!

6mm incinerator is a 264 win mag necked down to 6mm. With some light mono bullets that might get you close? I thought I saw a post on here a few years back about a guy doing a 22-300wm or maybe it was a 6mm-300wm I cant remember.

6mm incinerator is a 264 win mag necked down to 6mm. With some light mono bullets that might get you close? I thought I saw a post on here a few years back about a guy doing a 22-300wm or maybe it was a 6mm-300wm I cant remember.
A custom light mono 6mm may work too. A 45 grain 6mm mono would be about like the Nosler 55 grain ballistic tip externally, just guessing, and also a 45 grain 6mm would get higher velocity than a 45 grain .224 bullet with the same amount of powder....a 6mm-300 WSM or 6mm max pushing a 45 grain mono may get there. Perhaps I'll talk with Steve....

Hammer was working on a fur friendly bullet-not sure what caliber it's in. They were setting them up for jackals in Africa.

At the velocities being discussed here, I don't think expansion is all that necessary.

I always do worry about bullet skip.

If your really wanting to do this then my suggestion would be to stick with a maximum of 26 inch barrel for practical use even though you say you are not concerned with that. Before you or any of us build such an awesome rig, I would try to find the bullet in either 22 or 6mm that will hold up to the rotational speed and velocity then build based off that factor. I have been down this road as have a few others and from my past experience this will be one of the main issues. The bullet nose can also deform at those speeds causing issues farther down range. A 52-80 grain bullet traveling at 4200-5000 with a 26 inch or less barrel would be a very usable and fun round. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

As suggested before, have 2 barrels cut at the same time because I only got 620 rounds out of one of my Cheetah barrels. With some of the slower powders now and the blends, that may not be as pronounced now?

For this you should look hard at LRT for powder. It's a ball type and bridging won't be an issue. Magpro and 780 would also safe if LRT is too slow (doubtful)
If 400yds mpbr is your goal there are cartridges already there.

It's been done already. It's called the .224 McDonald. It's a 6 br improved necked down. Caveat is it's shooting 30 grain pills but they are pushing 5200+ FPS.

Yup, I actually linked it in this thread.

If your really wanting to do this then my suggestion would be to stick with a maximum of 26 inch barrel for practical use even though you say you are not concerned with that. Before you or any of us build such an awesome rig, I would try to find the bullet in either 22 or 6mm that will hold up to the rotational speed and velocity then build based off that factor. I have been down this road as have a few others and from my past experience this will be one of the main issues. The bullet nose can also deform at those speeds causing issues farther down range. A 52-80 grain bullet traveling at 4200-5000 with a 26 inch or less barrel would be a very usable and fun round. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

As suggested before, have 2 barrels cut at the same time because I only got 620 rounds out of one of my Cheetah barrels. With some of the slower powders now and the blends, that may not be as pronounced now?

If it could be done in a 26" that would be nice, would make a decent truck gun. I have a message in with Steve at hammer bullets discussing bullets right now, he is likely out hunting but I am hoping that whenever I go forward with this that he would be interested in putting a bullet together that could survive such a launch, I also plan on discussing twist rates with him as well. and yup, I posted earlier that I plan on getting 2 barrels to start with, 1 will be for finding the right combo of components to maximize velocity and the other will be the hunting tube.

For this you should look hard at LRT for powder. It's a ball type and bridging won't be an issue. Magpro and 780 would also safe if LRT is too slow (doubtful)
If 400yds mpbr is your goal there are cartridges already there.

Isn't Ramshot Magnum just a little faster than LRT as well? It is right in there with H1000 and Retumbo for burn rate, it may be an option as well if LRT is too slow.

As far as 400 yards coyote point blank, I figure no higher than 3" at highest point, and no lower than 3" at max range, and 400 yards is kind of the minimum. I would prefer to have as far as a +3-3 zero as possible. The majority of adult western coyotes only measure 6"-7", they are of course bigger with fur, but the part that the bullet cares about is only around 6ish inches, so that is where I came up with the +3-3 zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.