4X4s & atvs?

joseph

Are either or both of these permitted while hunting antelope & deer in Wyoming? I read about trucks chasing them. Where are they permitted?

joseph

Are either or both of these permitted while hunting antelope & deer in Wyoming? I read about trucks chasing them. Where are they permitted?

joseph

What are you asking? Chase them then shoot or simply chase?

The first thing that popped into my mind after reading your post is why would anyone want to literally chase a antelope or deer with a ATV or 4X4 while hunting. That in my opinion is abuse and unfair chase. I think most western states have a Fair Chase clause in the regulations that prohibits what you're asking. The regulations for most states are available to read on line I believe.

Now you could follow a heard of antelope from a distance using a quad or 4X4 get off and stalk to with shooting distance and that would be legal as long as you're not shooting from a road or across any road.

Anyone who can afford an ATV, and afford to drag it to WY, can also afford to hire an outfitter with horses or rent horses....The use of horses out west is traditional...To pollute another frontier, as has been done with done with the Northern forests in WI and MN with the widespread use of ATVs is a travesty.....I have had 2 surgeries on my back and a family full of heart disease, but there is no place that a ATV can go in the areas I have hunted in WI, MN, MT or WY that I can't walk to.....Only some wilderness areas may be out of reach for walking but ATVs are not legal there anyway....

In MN in 2006 I walked for over an hour in the predawn darkness only to be passed by an ATV driving on a logging road closed to motorized traffic.....In my opinion if the ATV is used because it is easier or saves time to get to the place where you hunt then that means the person is lazy and that he should stay home and play video games because he is really missing the point of what hunting is, and that hunting is not supposed to be "easy" it is supposed to be fun...When hunters infringe upon the fun and quality of other peoples hunts then they are not real hunters to begin with....

While stalking a mulie buck on a mountainside in WY in 2008 I watched a guy on a ATV roar across the prairie below at a running group of antelope, he bailed off and started shooting....He never even drove over to see if he had hit anything.....I finished my stalk, shot a decent 4x4, and later drove a couple of miles to the campsite of the culprits..They were from WI (my former home state).......It was heartbreaking to see the use of ATVs in such a detrimental action against our sport....The use of ATVs in MN and WI has really reduced the quality of hunting in the areas I have hunted for nearly 5 decades....On a brighter note the National Forest System has limited their use and some areas the hunting not only has gotten better but the quality of the hunt has increased tenfold in my opinion....

ATVs are great tools for work and recreation and their controlled use in hunt related way may be OK such as in game retrieval for the handicapped & disabled.....Their use on roads designated for regular highway vehicles doesn't hurt a thing (except maybe the chances of introducing "foul" odor on the hunters clothes).....But any use of an ATV where the hunter should be walking really puts a bad mark against the tradition and heritage of hunting...

Randy

I hunted on a ranch in Wy last that we have hunted for over 10 years and there were 2 guys that had trailered their ATV's from Pa.
They ruined the hunting on the ranch for every other hunter there. I complained to the rancher (to no avail) about them driving the face of the mountain we glass from a distance then spot and stalk. They just ran them up and down the face with rifles slung in a gun holder. The steepness of the mountain I don't think wouldhave allowed fro locking up brake unslinging rifle and then make a shot.
The rest of the ranch area they just ran where ever they wanted. There are 2 tracks where the vehicle can travel and glass from. They paid no attention to them. I was so ****ed all I wanted to do was sent a round thru an engine block.
They ran the antelope off to the next ranch, no one killed a decent deer buck (larger than a forkhorn). Went out the 2nd week this year and had the ranch to ourselves. Killed a nice 135" 9 pointer and a screwy 14 1/2" goat.
We glassed from the roads and stalked to within 500 (close enough) and killed. THEN took the vehicles to the downed game when everyone else was good to go.

You can walk to where you can make the shot. Glass from afar. Leave vehicle behind. That's the way its done or should be. Be mindful of the other hunters around and don't ruin their hunt. my2c.

From my limited knowledge of hunting in Wy., you cannot use either off of an established road or 2-track. If you use an ATV, you also need to purchase a sticker from WY. to be able to use one. The State has a map of legal roads/2-tracks to use them on.

As for using one, I do and will still do in a legal manner.

Good answers guys!!!

I was wondering if I could use my atv to bring out the game after shooting it. I will be 65 and my buddy will be 67 next fall. Neither of us are in the best of shape. :rolleyes: Can we use a 2 wheeled deer hauler to put the animals on and then wheel them out without having to carry them out? This is why I asked about the 4X4s & atvs.

We are planning to shoot them at not more than 600 yards. We were planning to stalk on foot. We're going to have fun not just to kill.

joseph

Good answers guys!!!

I was wondering if I could use my atv to bring out the game after shooting it. I will be 65 and my buddy will be 67 next fall. Neither of us are in the best of shape. :rolleyes: Can we use a 2 wheeled deer hauler to put the animals on and then wheel them out without having to carry them out? This is why I asked about the 4X4s & atvs.

We are planning to shoot them at not more than 600 yards. We were planning to stalk on foot. We're going to have fun not just to kill.

joseph

If there are no restrictions as to where you can go with a vehicle in your state of choice or the unit you're in then you bet you can retrieve game with one. As for the hand operated 2 wheeled deer hauler its good everywhere as long as you're not in a wilderness unit.

I think in Wy. it's not legal to take a vehicle off of the road/2-track, not even to retrieve game. It is legal to use a game cart, but like kcebcj said, not in a wilderness area, but then again, you can't use ANYTHING wheeled in a wilderness area.

I wonder what they'd say about a travois behind a horse??? :D

Seems to me they would make a great support unit. One or two stalk in with a third person riding drag out of site . Going in isn't the problem , its just so far coming out. :rolleyes:

In most cases you cant legaly take an ATV anywhere your pickup will not go....... If it rains figure on a lot of walking. Some ranchers dont allow ATVs and except for game retrieval are frowned upon by most hunters.
Its a lot easier to bone out a goat and carry the meat out in a backpack, even a deer boned and split between two guys is not all that hard.
Find yourself a good sadle between two water sources and let the youngsters chase the game to ya :D

On The Outdoor Channel there was a show by "Eastmans"???? I think where a father & son drove fifty miles from the nearest gravel road on public land with their 4X4 truck. They pitched up a tent and camped there. They had a chance to shoot an elk, but didn't because it would not jump over a fence from private land to the public land that they were on in Wyoming. This is another reason I started this Thread.

joseph

I know a couple people that use them to get into areas as well as out of areas for hunting. Most of them are older and need the help in dragging a deer out of the area, but not all of them. Just because you don't do it or don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. This is kind of like people who bash AR shooters, or archers vs crossbows. Not trying to start a fight or come off as snobish, just pointing this out. No, I do not use an ATV or even own one. I usually park my truck and walk for awhile (could be 1/2 mile or a couple of miles, just depends)to my hunting areas because thats what I like to do and thats how I do it. Others in the area drive up and sit in their truck, I don't agree with it but oh well thats what they do. Now hiking out dragging my rifle, treestand, and deer one weekend when there was a late heat wave and it was 80 degrees I wish I had one, but oh well. Once again, not trying to start a fight so please don't take it that way, just giving my 2 cents worth.

Greywolf18,
I can agree with you that if it is legal than it is not up to us to say someone is wrong....But when the use of ATVs degrades the quality of another person's hunt then it becomes our responsibility to get the laws changed....An ATV used to get "way back in" can bugger deer or elk out of areas along their route.....The person hunting the "in between" ground on foot basically walks for nothing because the ATV has already spooked the animals....

No one should tell me or you that we can not hunt with an AR.....Nor should anyone be allowed to detract from the quality of others hunts just because they are ill-informed on the consequences of their actions.....All the good things and downfalls of ATVs and hunting should be weighed to come up with a reasonable compromise as to their use as a hunting tool.....In my opinion, from what I have seen in the 4 states that I hunt, show me that in most cases their use is not acceptable.....

Randy

MNbogboy, You are not going to hike any where a atv or bike could go, in reasonable time, just like you are not going to out hike a horse, and I ALMOST COULD in my 20's. I live in MT and there are extensive trails for atv use, and I mean 1000's of miles as there is ID which I frequent. You would not believe where they get on trail bikes, continetail divide etc. The spots are posted on the maps and you just have to deal with them. IM PRETTY sure a outfitter pulled a sign and "RE-MARKED" A trail closed, which borders wilderness, that is how he DELT WITH IT, it is legally open:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.