4th of the season

yotehunter243

Well yesterday morning was our second time out this season. Cody and I met up an hour before daylight and headed to the river bottoms. We were both pumped to try the new FoxJack i bought from FoxPro. I think this decoy is the best thing they have come up with and by far the best decoy on the market (iv bought about ever decoy there is). Any how the first stand was a bust. About 15 minutes into the stand the wind switched something aweful so we packed up and moved.
The next stand was on my Farmers property. Our hide was in a big brush pile on a hill side over looking 800-1000 acres of crop fields with thick over grown ditchs criss-crossing thru the bottoms. we set the FoxPro Fury below us and up wind 40 yards. Cody started off with a kitten in distress followed by grey fox in ditress. After about 30 minutes and all the fog had finally lifted we decided to call it a bust again. About the time we stood up and looked up towards the call 2 yotes were standing in the fog bank., the lead dog busted us bigger then crap. As we set down cody got the camera turned back on and made the decoy dance and twirl. This proved to me way to much for the dogs to handle and they eased our way. As Cody was calling with his mouth he whispered here comes a big dog out of the beans coming straight at the decoy. Well where i was i couldnt see the 3rd dog coming. COdy kept saying big dog shoot the big dog (3rd one). SO as soon as he gave me the OK i sent a 107SMK blistering at 3,280FPS into the big males chest. As the other dogs took off we got on to stop but with out my rangefinder i didnt want to take a chance and spook them anymore as they had no clue of what happened. After that we called it a day.
The dog weighed 53LBS, in the picture i am 6'2" 190 pounds
mail1.jpg

Here is a picture with all the equipment and the tree row in the background is where the dogs came from when we first saw them
mail.jpg

He was right at 150 yards. This early in the year I very seldom have a shot past 150 now come December its a different story.

The amount of pressure the dogs get put on them. After deer season there are so many gut piles and deer left dead that the dogs aren't having to hunt very hard. Then by this time everyone is done deer hunting and driving the back roads trying to shoot them off the road or setting a caller on the hood of the truck trying to call em in. We still kill slot and call plenty in but your have the old wise dogs that hold up 500-700 yards out. This year I have just the thing for them.

Yikes! thats one big 'yote! Out here (manitoba, canada) I have next to none where I live.... But and hour or so west we have a place at a lake, ( its in a hilly area with a large valley, surrounded by huge pasture's)....

On the weekend my Son and I went to winter-ise our place, on Saturday, we did some 'Yote hunting.... We seen 12, and I got shots off at six, and managed three.... Sunday morning I got another, and a red fox.... Awesome stuff for our area! None were anything as big as your though! And like Yotehunter says, there are the ones that stay way out there... I use a Weatherby Vanguard .223 for most of my hunting, But have a Savage 12 BVSS in .308 with an ART II M-1000 scope for the one's that want me to call them long distance ;-)

Ginnz.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.