4R Rifle Club's Spring Shoot '07

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
4R Rifle Club\'s Spring Shoot \'07

Despite the 20-30 mph winds, Rick Reeves of the 4R Rifle Club in Alex, OK held his spring match on Saturday May, 5. The weathermen were calling for high winds all week and man did they get it right this time. Everyone seemed to have a good time even though it was hard to stand up at times due to the gail force winds!! It was really good to get out and spend a day shooting w/some really good folks and eating some dang good BBQ.

There were over 55 shooters there w/some entering twice so there were 72 actual entries. Jimm and his buddy Scott were among the field. It was nice to get to visit w/him and Scott. He's just as good of a guy in person as he is on this sight.

Lerch and I didn't embarass ourselves but the wind was kinda hard on us. It was gusty and almost impossible to call @ 500 yds. I'd say we were in the top third but dind't do good enought to get into the 6 man shootoff and compete for the NF, Savage rifle and supressor from Red Cloud Ind. Enought rambling. Here's some pics.

Here's the food court (couldn't think of anything better to call it):
4RSpring07001.jpg

Just a few pics of folks standing around shooting the breeze (pun intended):
4RSpring07002.jpg

4RSpring07003.jpg

4RSpring07009.jpg

Here's a pic of the scoreboard (don't look @ Lerch and I's scores):
4RSpring07011.jpg

Here's a pic of Jimm getting ready to send one into the hurricane and Scott scoring for him:
4RSpring07006.jpg

Another pic of the firing line:
4RSpring07005.jpg

Just wanted to post these so you could get a look at the setup and the wind flags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif:
4RSpring07007.jpg

4RSpring07008.jpg

Here's Rick @ the prize table:
4RSpring07012.jpg

Here's the pic of the winner, Darren Johnston. Darren somehow managed to shoot a perfect score to get into the shootoff!!! The shootoff proved a little tougher but he did enough to win. He is shooting a 25-06 Savage that he built himself.
4RSpring07014.jpg

Here's the second place winner, Preston DeWolf. He picked up the new Savage 12 F/TR rifle in .308. He was shooting a 22-243 built by Darren Johnston.
4RSpring07015.jpg

The third place winner, Don Johnson (not of Miami Vice fame). He picked up the free supressor from Red Cloud Ind.
4RSpring07016.jpg

There were prizes out to 10 or so places but these were the big 3. Preston Pritchet of Surgeon Actions also donated a $250 certificate towards one of his actions.

Once all the competition was over, Frank Orman of Red Cloud Ind. got out some of their toys for everyone to play with. There was a supressed 22 LR that was quieter than any pellet gun I've ever heard!!!! A big thank to Frank and his gang for coming out.

A few of the supressed and fully auto toys:
4RSpring07021.jpg

Here is a supressed 50 cal and supressed 308. Everyone got in on the 50 cal incendiary rounds. We turned one gong black!!! Even a 10 year old girl was able to shoot the big 50 w/the supressor!!!
4RSpring07024.jpg

All in all it was a good day spent w/some great folks!!! Congratualions to all the winners!!!

Re: 4R Rifle Club\'s Spring Shoot \'07

He aint kidding , this weather is the same weather that killed a bunch of folks in Kansas .

The ewinner of the shoot was in the first flight , and his shootoff scores more resembled the scores of the masses . The longer the day went the worse the wind . At one point the siding of the cookshack blew off and whanged a guys truck .

So , so much for whining /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was a great experience , I have never connected on a target in so much wind ! This was a really good shoot for waking up to the realities of " you are there , now shoot " . On a side note it was my observation that animals with a kill zone the size of antelope and up were not missed ( speaking about a killing shot ) even in the winds as encountered in the later relays .

Main thing , " it was a hoot " lots of different rifles and shooters , everyone interested in each others gear and techniques , folks helping out with others needs / problems and so on .

That is just part of it . The host of this shoot spared no effort to make it enjoyable in other ways as well . Rick Reeves loves to shoot himself but in order to pu t on this shoot he lays down his rifle ( better man than me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and takes up the duties of a Range Officer and his Dad cooks up some smoked ribs that you can cut with a plastic fork ( no kidding ) and they are as congenial as all get out ............................................whats not to like ?

I would invite youn all to the fall shoot but you are probably better shooters than me so stay away cuz I need a new Night force scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim B.

Just in case this post gets back to them , THANKS RICK AND FRED REEVES !!! you guys are superb hosts .

Hay jimm remember that white towel I was using, I will mail it to you for thos croc. tears

Ok ,

I give up , there were a lot of white towels , mostly being cried in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So who you be ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif C'mon , own up to your identity ( and score ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoever you are I had fun with you at your playground !

Jim B

[ QUOTE ]
He's the owner of that brand new NF big Jimm

[/ QUOTE ]

Allright !! I know who you is now . You bet ! send me that towel , I'm gonna rub it all over my rifle /scope /body /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Congrats on your win and dang fine shooting . Now go somewhere else for the next shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

There is nothing like competing in the wind to get you hungry enough to eat a big plate of humble pie.

Donovan,
Yes, Rick Reeves will have a fall shoot but the date has not been decided as of yet.
When the flyers come out I will scan one and post it on this forum along with a detailed map &amp; directions to the range.
Probably September...????
You will have a blast (no pun intended).
Great people and great food with friendly enviroment.
Look forward to seeing more of the longrangehunting crowd at these events.

Rick won the tatical shoot at Elk City/Sayer this past weekend. I will ask him about the fall shoot when he comes down from "Cloud 9". Just joking. He's not the kind to get a swollen head over something like that.

Larry M.

could someone give me a contact number for the 4R rifle club it is about an hour from house want to check it out,thanks donovan

Forget it Donovan ,

you can out shoot me , how do I know this ?? Its very simple............everyone can , so there is no way I am going to give yet another shooter info on how to come and whack my ............... so forget it or just ask Bill Bailey or Lerch via email , they will tell you , cuz they are good guys .

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.