49 MOA out of Mark 5 HD MOA

General RE LEE

I have a 3.6-18x44 Leupold Mark 5HD installed on my Tikka T3 with 20 MOA rail and low rings and the most MOA I was able to get is 49 MOA. Granted I don't have anywhere to shoot 1100 yards to max out but I still feel like I could of gotten more MOA. Does this seem right?

I didn't check. I guess if I wanted to shoot beyond 1100 yards I could max out my turret and then utilize my MOA reticle for additional hold over.

As @Andrew Massi noted, you should have ~50 MOA at zero settings without the cant, ~70 MOA with a 20 MOA cant unless it is actually a zero MOA cant (might want to double-check that too). 49 MOA (from zero) is a lot of elevation to contend with. Most of LRH rifles require ~20 MOA at 1K yards. Good luck!

Ed

As @Andrew Massi noted, you should have ~50 MOA at zero settings without the cant, ~70 MOA with a 20 MOA cant unless it is actually a zero MOA cant (might want to double-check that too). 49 MOA (from zero) is a lot of elevation to contend with. Most of LRH rifles require ~20 MOA at 1K yards. Good luck!

Ed
I have a 3.6-18x44 Leupold Mark 5HD installed on my Tikka T3 with 20 MOA rail and low rings and the most MOA I was able to get is 49 MOA. Granted I don't have anywhere to shoot 1100 yards to max out but I still feel like I could of gotten more MOA. Does this seem right?
When you say 49 Moa do you mean 49 Moa up from sight in zero? With the 5HD you have max 2 rotations, right? What caliber/cartridge is your Tikka? What have you figured is your max yards with your particular outfit? Just trying to get the most complete picture.

When you say 49 Moa do you mean 49 Moa up from sight in zero? With the 5HD you have max 2 rotations, right? What caliber/cartridge is your Tikka? What have you figured is your max yards with your particular outfit? Just trying to get the most complete picture.

Since you quoted me, what exactly is your question?

49 moa at 1100 yards? Sounds like our .308's with 175 Matchkings, and pushing that subsonic threshold.

If you aren't pushing things near that far then don't worry about it, you're fine.

49 MOA from sight in zero with a Tikka T3 308.

hahah really?
Let's not forget one thing, the guys offering help are not the ones asking for help.
I posted yesterday, after I failed to read you had a 20 moa base, I was in left field, lol

Snap a pic of your setup and post it. I have had 2 bases come from EGW where the packaging was marked 20 moa, but the bottom of base was stamped 0 moa. I fought the same thing for a yr not knowing. I have no clue of who made your base, but could be a thing here.
Theoretically on a 100 moa total travel scope with a 20 moa base, you should have roughly 65 moa up, which has been established here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.