4895 powder new to reloading

imrpowder.com is a great resource for the information you are looking for. Once at the website, click on "Reloading Data Center". There you will be able to look up each of the caliber and bullet combos you have and see which one 4895 is listed on.

308 Win 45.0grs IMR4895 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip WLRM primer Win. case
168gr Nosler BT Sako 308 Range.jpg

I used 4895 in my converted M14 for High Power competition, as well as in my M70 Target. With 43 grains of 4895 and a 168gr smk the M70 would shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. It is a very good powder for the 308.

As a new reloader you really should start by looking in your reloading manual for the cartridges you plan to reload or buy in the future and see if it is appropriate for those you have or want. As others have mentioned you can also check powder manufacturers websites online.

Bonus: You'll become more familiar with your manual by doing research as well.

It is a very open-ended question that you posed and you'll get answers here for cartridges that you'll never shoot.

As you can see, folks here are very helpful but it sounds to me like you're trying to push the "easy button".

Imagine if you had asked which cartridges it doesn't work for?
Same thing.

I'm not being crabby. My intent is to help you learn to use trusted resources (manufacturers do extensive research prior to publishing load data) to get reliable information.

Also in your reloading manual you can compare different powder data for your selected cartridge and see which is more efficient (example: less grains of powder to achieve the same or higher velocities than you are using.).

Good luck.

308 win. with 168 grain silver tip shoot good in by m1a, rem. 700 and by win 70.. H4895 or surplus 322 our powders.

In the 30-06 I have been playing with H4895 under a 137gr and 124gr Hammer Hunter at 3200 and 3400 respectively. Got hot and its fishing season so I am waiting on a cooler day with East wind that would be crap to fish before I get back to the range.

New to reloading What calibers is and bullet weights is 4895 best for? Thank you
It is a very versatile and old powder that covers a lot of calibers from old military rifles to any caliber newer rifle. It is no magnum or best velocity powder, but to me is much like the old Unique shotgun/pistol power...versatile.

Recent Posts