4895 powder new to reloading

As a new reloader you really should start by looking in your reloading manual for the cartridges you plan to reload or buy in the future and see if it is appropriate for those you have or want. As others have mentioned you can also check powder manufacturers websites online.

Bonus: You'll become more familiar with your manual by doing research as well.

It is a very open-ended question that you posed and you'll get answers here for cartridges that you'll never shoot.

As you can see, folks here are very helpful but it sounds to me like you're trying to push the "easy button".

Imagine if you had asked which cartridges it doesn't work for?
Same thing.

I'm not being crabby. My intent is to help you learn to use trusted resources (manufacturers do extensive research prior to publishing load data) to get reliable information.

Also in your reloading manual you can compare different powder data for your selected cartridge and see which is more efficient (example: less grains of powder to achieve the same or higher velocities than you are using.).

Good luck.
What do you mean calibers i wont shoot please explain. How do you know what calibers i have or dont have? As i stated im new to this and thought id ask a few questions for tips and not get beat up about it. As i see thats not gonna happen. . I used to reload with my father when i was to young to know what was going on. I recently aquired his stuff. As we know in these times its hard to find supplies. I saw a can and bought it. Things have changed and there are new powders since he was around and did it. Id like to cary it on. I have bought some new manuals and a few items and have reloaded a few things reading and loaded a few rounds. He had some 4831 and 4350 and some number 7 pistol powderas well as hurcules pistol powder he left me.

Last edited:
What do you mean calibers i wont shoot please explain. How do you know what calibers i have or dont have? As i stated im new to this and thought id ask a few questions for tips and not get beat up about it. As i see thats not gonna happen. . I used to reload with my father when i was to young to know what was going on. I recently aquired his stuff. As we know in these times its hard to find supplies. I saw a can and bought it. Things have changed and there are new powders since he was around and did it. Id like to cary it on. I have bought some new manuals and a few items and have reloaded a few things reading and loaded a few rounds. He had some 4831 and 4350 and some number 7 pistol powderas well as hurcules pistol powder he left me.
It's cool that you are carrying on the tradition of reloading. There's a ton of videos on youtube on reloading. You can always PM me and I'll point you in the right direction if I can.

"… I used to reload with my father when i was to young to know what was going on. I recently aquired his stuff. As we know in these times its hard to find supplies. I saw a can and bought it. Things have changed and there are new powders since he was around and did it. Id like to cary it on. I have bought some new manuals and a few items and have reloaded a few things reading and loaded a few rounds. He had some 4831 and 4350 and some number 7 pistol powderas well as hurcules pistol powder he left me."
Sorry you feel beat up.
No offense was intended.

If you had provided background information like quoted above you would have received a different response.

I don't know you or your history or experience in reloading. Likely few here do. Good on your dad for getting you involved.
Your original post was extremely brief and left us to try to guide you toward good information.

Glad you are doing the sensible thing and checking manuals.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your reloading…

It seems as though everyone provided you with honest feedback. What works in some people's rifle may not work in yours. Any specific load data given to you should be taken with a grain of salt. Even if someone gives you a specific charge that they love, it is best practice for you go back and find a starting load (which is found in the manuals) and work up your load until you find one that your rifle likes, knowing that its possible that whatever specific charge that was given could be near the sweet spot for your rifle. If that makes sense. I am only mentioning this info since you stated that you are new to reloading, so if you already know this, my apologies.

It seems as though everyone provided you with honest feedback. What works in some people's rifle may not work in yours. Any specific load data given to you should be taken with a grain of salt. Even if someone gives you a specific charge that they love, it is best practice for you go back and find a starting load (which is found in the manuals) and work up your load until you find one that your rifle likes, knowing that its possible that whatever specific charge that was given could be near the sweet spot for your rifle. If that makes sense. I am only mentioning this info since you stated that you are new to reloading, so if you already know this, my apologies.
Nothing personal taken. I was asking as to what caliberscit worked best in from others expieriance thank you

4895 is a great powder,has many applications. I have a 7x57 single shot which is very finicky as a last resort I tried 4895 with some 140 gainers, solved my problem.

I stated im new to reoading asking for some tips. No need for the neg comments if you arnt willing to help. Thanx
@8x68s was not being negative. He gave some solid advice, as most others did as well. What he did not do is directly address the original question.
Thank you. Boy there are some bullies on here though. Im sure finding out
Bullies?
s0140.gif

Sorry to hear about your dad.
Little bit o' advice:
Don't be so soft skinned - this is a hobby where oops moments may require ER visits or the mortician. The language and attitude are a result of that.
Good advice has and will be offered, but don't be surprised when, if you ignore it, or ask again, the hammer comes next.
Physics rule this sport, the results confirm, and if you don't have a picture of it, it never happened.
Participation trophies are not given (here, or any other forum that I know of). Knowledge and wisdom are hard-won, skill is acquired and respect is earned.
Not saying you're a millenial, but a reply from you like "Smh" earlier is too easily misunderstood. This is not an echo chamber like Farcebook where irrational ideas can take hold like wildfire.
I laud you for taking up the torch from your father. It's an equally satisfying (and frustrating) hobby, next to shooting. It also provides you the means to take that 1moa to 1/3 moa.

It
@8x68s was not being negative. He gave some solid advice, as most others did as well. What he did not do is directly address the original question.

Bullies? View attachment 282488

Sorry to hear about your dad.
Little bit o' advice:
Don't be so soft skinned - this is a hobby where oops moments may require ER visits or the mortician. The language and attitude are a result of that.
Good advice has and will be offered, but don't be surprised when, if you ignore it, or ask again, the hammer comes next.
Physics rule this sport, the results confirm, and if you don't have a picture of it, it never happened.
Participation trophies are not given (here, or any other forum that I know of). Knowledge and wisdom are hard-won, skill is acquired and respect is earned.
Not saying you're a millenial, but a reply from you like "Smh" earlier is too easily misunderstood. This is not an echo chamber like Farcebook where irrational ideas can take hold like wildfire.
I laud you for taking up the torch from your father. It's an equally satisfying (and frustrating) hobby, next to shooting. It also provides you the means to take that 1moa to 1/3 moa.
It did happen lesson learned i will never create a thread again. I will only pay my dues log in to see whats for saleor trade or what i want to sell or trade. Im not gonna subject myself to this abuse. I know how forums work its several clicks of guys that are messaging behind closed doors in pms and im fresh meat being new. Just as you stated if i have no pics it didnt happen and now you are threatening me with banning allready by a smh comment but yet its ok to keep going after me when i asked it to stop and make memes about me with beavis and butthead, tell me to lay off coffee and redbull, among may other comments.does that mean since im new thats ok and tolerated by senior members ?

I didn't see anyone say anything about banning. And imho P7M13 was being very cordial to you. As I see it he was only trying to help you and give you words of encouragement.