4831SC in my 270 win???

My brother's rifle wears a 25.5" PacNor. The 130 NBT over 57.5 gr H4831SC is one of his tack driver loads. (Same load mentioned previously by another member).

4831 is a great choice for 130-150 or heavier bullets in the 270 for most. If you can't get H4831 to work, try H4350 or IMR4350 or IMR4831. You'd be surprised how much things can change (for better or worse).

If I recall correctly, one of the Speer manuals lists IMR7828 to be its best velocity with their 130, so that, in a sense, could negate that 4831 is too slow for this bullet weight in general.

The first thing I'd do is reduce your 4831 charge a couple of grains and use a magnum primer. I've got a 270 that prefers magnum primers hands down. Curiously, I have a 7mag that prefers the 210M over the 215M, so you never know what a rifle will like til you try a few changes.

i shoot 59 grs of h4831sc with a 130 gr. hornady sst and cci 200 primer with great accuracy out of a stock remington 700 with a tuned trigger. i think you should try a different bullet or primer.

This is an ancient thread but what the heck, I'm now excited over H4831sc & my 270. 22" BAR (a soft sweet shooter).

I recently worked up a load with the TTSXs and got to 59.2gr H4831sc yeilding 3000fps SD 8, one ragged hole consistently. .25 - .35MOA 4 shot groups with a 9x scope@100. I went out and bought an 8# jug...that's it. That's all I need out of this rifle.

RL26 is reserved for 6.5CM and 7mmRM when ultimate speed is wanted...I get 100+fps over any other powder with it. But 4350 is my standard goto in 6.5CM just cuz with 130 & 135 Bergers.

130TTSX drop wild hogs and deer like a stone under 300 yards, my longest shot with this rifle. But now that I've got it dialed in and faster, it's getting a 20x. That should take it out to being a 500 yard hunter.

Having loaded for five or six 270's over the years, I have found H4831, and now H4831sc to be the standards with very little difference between the two. While you may get a little more velocity with other powders, I haven't found any to be more accurate. In addition, it seems consistent in the rifles I have loaded for, to find loads closer to or at max to be more accurate with the 130 and 150 Nosler Accubonds and Partitions that I use.

I have your exact gun.. Take it and clean the crap out of it down to squeaky.. Then you can just eliminate that..
I have shot any number of 130 grain bullets... 130 nos ballistic tip.. Hornady 130 grain SSt etc.. They all shot well over 58 grains of 4831 sc, Federal 210 primer, usually you can seat the Hornady right at the back of the crimp line edge and they really sing.. the 130 grain sst with 60 grains of superformance is outstanding.. Most accurate I have ever shot... Might want to take a look inside with a bore scope ..
Good luck Amigo..
Disclamer ... Always start a few grains lower to be safe in your gun..

I have 130gr BST's for my Ruger M77 270 WIN and i have loaded them over 59gr's of 4831SC. This gun has been very accurate with anything I have loaded in it before but this is the first time I have used either this bullet or this powder. I am getting very erratic grouping. Do you think it is over loaded? Do I need to reduce the loading because of the short cut powder? Hodgdon says that 60 is max with regular 4831 but I was curios if the short cut packs better for a denser charge? 59gr should be 59gr right?? Any help would be great I have heard great things about this combo and would love to make it work for me.
From what I am reading you didn't work up a load for this new projectile & just loaded up 59gr would that be correct?

What is a BST anyway??

The BST is a Ballistic Silver Tip by Nosler.. Great little 130 grain bullets..
Thanks for the definition.

I have only just realised this is an old thread & not sure if the OP is even around any more?

Im still a fair bit concerned that the OP doesn't seem to have followed normal safe reloading work up practices!!

So they are a coated projectile, I've trialed them in a .22-250 & didn't get them to group in that so never loaded them again.

I don't give recipes away as I think its pointless in someone else's rifle but will say that ADI 2213sc or H4831sc as it is also known is the go to power for accuracy for the 270W in my rifle.

And especially with Hornady 130gr SST's.

There might be powders that give a bit more velocity but after testing quite a few in my 270 2213sc was by far the most accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.