4831SC in my 270 win???

I agree. I need to get one. Any rec's?

A buddy of mine and I use chronographs in the $100 range...

ProChrono Pal Chronograph

F1 Master Chronograph

Another buddy of mine thought the Chrony Master was "lying" to him so he upgraded to the CED ($200)

Millennium 2 Chronograph System

And another buddy of mine thought the CED was lying to him, so he upgraded to the Oehler....(~$500)

Oehler Research, Inc.--Model 35 Proof Chronograph

Personally, I have/use the Chrony Master. It seems to work just fine for me. I have shot my 260, 280 and 300rum over it. When I plug the velocity it gives into my ballistic program, and validate the data, it's pretty darn close.

I also like the Chrony because it folds up neatly into a relatively small box and fits into my shooting box or backpack easily. The others (to borrow a phrase from a friend) are "not tactical"

Thanks for the info. I am not giving up on the powder yet. Seems like it would likely be related to the bullet anyway. How do you like the Bergers? I wanted to try those some time as well.

The Berger 130's are good. I originally bought them because the rifle had a 40yo 1:12" twist barrel and wasn't real happy with longer/heavier bullets.

I've since rebarrelled and am looking to try the 165 Matrix for the much higher BC.

-- richard

Since you mentioned it, i thought my rifle was 1-10 but it is also kinda old. I wonder if mine has a slower twist rate also? How can I tell? Anybody know? It is a Ruger M77 old model with the tang safety. I noted when I loaded them that the BST's are really long, much longer than the Speer's that I have been loading? Hmmm.

Since you mentioned it, i thought my rifle was 1-10 but it is also kinda old. I wonder if mine has a slower twist rate also? How can I tell? Anybody know? It is a Ruger M77 old model with the tang safety. I noted when I loaded them that the BST's are really long, much longer than the Speer's that I have been loading? Hmmm.

Use a free spinning cleaning rod with a tight patch.

Insert the rod until it enters the rifling and just begins to rotate. Wrap a piece of tape around the rod where it enters the rifle.

Mark the rod so that you can tell when it' made exactly one complete rotation and push the rod through the barrel until that one rotation is complete.

Mark the rod again according to the reference point on the rifle that you used for the first piece of tape.

Push the patch through and then remove the rod.

Measure the distance from the first piece of tape on the rod to the second piece of tape on the rod.

That's the number of inches per rotation a/k/a your twist rate.

Repeat several times to be sure.

-- richard

I load for a buddy with 130 gr. Nosler Partitions in his 270 Winchester using 59.0 grs. of H4831SC and Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers. (be sure to work up when changing primers). He gets 3/4" groups at 100 yards at 3000 fps in his 22" barrel on his Remington Mountain Rifle.

H4831SC seems to be an excellent powder as would IMR4350 or H4350 with the 130 gr. bullet. I'd try a box of the Partitions or the 130 gr. Accubond and see what they do. They are great bullets!

130 gr NBT over 57.5 gr 4831sc consistently cuts ragged hole groups in my rifle.

i am going to try backing down the charge a little. I think that may be part of the problem. that will be my first step as i have learned the hard way of changing more than on thing at a time, hard to tell what really helped. thanks for the info.

I load for a buddy with 130 gr. Nosler Partitions in his 270 Winchester using 59.0 grs. of H4831SC and Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers. (be sure to work up when changing primers). He gets 3/4" groups at 100 yards at 3000 fps in his 22" barrel on his Remington Mountain Rifle.

H4831SC seems to be an excellent powder as would IMR4350 or H4350 with the 130 gr. bullet. I'd try a box of the Partitions or the 130 gr. Accubond and see what they do. They are great bullets!

after i try to back down the load a little, maybe i will try mag primers if i need to get more speed with the increased charge. thanks for the info.

so I tried some 130 sierra's yesterday and took the charge down to 57 with no luck. still cant get any better than 2-3 inches at 100. not stoked about that. i have been able to shoot those bullets very well in the past with other powders. have not had a chance to get any more noslers yet to try reduced load with those. i am starting to wonder if i have a rifle problem? i am going to buy a box of winchester factory that has also shot very well in the past from that rifle and try it. starting to wonder......

If it won't shoot the Sierra's either I would switch to 4350 and try it. If it doesn't shoot then I would suspect something is wrong with the gun(I suspect there is). It might have a screw coming loose on a scope mount or something.

If it won't shoot the Sierra's either I would switch to 4350 and try it. If it doesn't shoot then I would suspect something is wrong with the gun(I suspect there is). It might have a screw coming loose on a scope mount or something.

i have checked and rechecked all the torque on the mounts. however, since you mentioned it, i recently switched scopes so maybe that is the deal. i did not take the mounts off the gun as i did not need to. but i did take a nikon of another rifle and installed it on this rifle. i guess i should switch back and try to shoot again. that scope was money on the last rifle albeit a 17 fireball.

My wife shoots a basically stock. 270 win. Winchester model 70. She shoots 130 gr Berger vld's. 59 grains of h4831sc. Loaded to max length of magazine. Her rifle will shoot 1-1.5 inch groups all day. Not stellar accuracy but not bad.
Only modifications to the gun is that it had been pillar bedded and has had the stock shortened.

I kinda thought that H4831 and the .270 Win was associated with Jack O'Conner and the 150gr bullet traveling 3000 fps from a 26" model 70... Although I know his used 130gr bullets with H-4831 and IMR-4831 Jack hand many loads for the .270 Win using others like IMR-4350 and IMR-4064 in the 130gr weight bullets.
Just thinking out loud.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.