4831 for 160 gr Barnes in 7mm rem mag?

scottys

I would like to work up a load for my M77 Ruger 7mm Rem mag for a 160 gr Barnes TSX FB bullet using either H-4831 or IMR 4831 powder. Anybody have any suggestion on the load I might start with?
Thanks!

I've got the Barns Reloading Manual Number 4. For a 160-grain TSX FB using IMR 4831 the minimum load is 52.0 grains at 2578fps and the maximum is 58.0 grains at 2791fps.

I would like to work up a load for my M77 Ruger 7mm Rem mag for a 160 gr Barnes TSX FB bullet using either H-4831 or IMR 4831 powder. Anybody have any suggestion on the load I might start with?
Thanks!

I know this is not part of your question but I have been using Reloader 22 with great results in my 7rm, a friend of mine used almost every powder on the market including H-4831 and IMR 4831 and neither one grouped as well as the Reloader 22.

I will second the idea of using RL-22 in a 7mm Rem Mag.. I have gotten great velocity and accuracy using RL-22 and 160 Barnes TSX bullets in my Ruger 77 Mark I. My second choice is IMR_4831.

Thanks for the info guys! I've ordered a Barnes reloading manual (#4). Guess I'd better go buy some RL-22 powder!

Once you decide on your load, try adjusting your jump off of the lands. My gunsmith told me that the Barnes Bullets like to be seated .050 off the lands. This refinement really tightened up my 7mm WSM Barnes loads.

Best of luck with your load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.