480 Yard Rock Chuck Three-pete

šŸ˜® You guys with rockchucks and groundhogs to shoot long range really make me miss Maryland. I moved where its a futile endeavor to find good areas to hunt :(

Haa! Like I mentioned before, the groundhog population around here is nothing what it used to be! I get to hunt them on a 150 acre farm but they are few and far between. Those rock chucks don't seem nearly as skittish as groundhogs but the OPs marksmanship is impressive, not withstanding!

A good day at some maryland line farms would net Dad and I about 10-12 chucks. We were lucky a lot of farmers trusted us around their farms and appreciated the difference we could make in the chuck population. I learned to long range shoot with a 222 and then upgraded to a 22-250. Up here to see one hog in a day of looking would be considered good :(

Our good areas in the mountains would provide 20+ chucks between 2 or 3 shooters. The area I filmed this video in used to be one of those areas, but their population appears to have dwindled a little even in areas of the canyon that we didn't shoot them.

I used to do a lot of chucking, I don't bother them much anymore. Lucky for them as one of the area's I've been spring bear hunting a lot this spring is absolutely loaded with the buggers. I always take my Jack Russell with me, they're just plain torturing them:)

Back when we hammered them, we'd wait until they had their pups. We had more than a few 50 chuck days. My best summer was 457 or something like that. I used my Big 7 or 6/06 hunting rifle's for most all the work.

Had some pretty good days back then:)

Haa! Like I mentioned before, the groundhog population around here is nothing what it used to be! I get to hunt them on a 150 acre farm but they are few and far between. Those rock chucks don't seem nearly as skittish as groundhogs but the OPs marksmanship is impressive, not withstanding!
Lots of foxes showing up here now. Smoked one yesterday. You are right, ground hogs are way more skittish, then rock chucks!

Our good areas in the mountains would provide 20+ chucks between 2 or 3 shooters. The area I filmed this video in used to be one of those areas, but their population appears to have dwindled a little even in areas of the canyon that we didn't shoot them.
Watched your video, awesome shooting, narrating , and camera control. Tried that on a deer hunt Years ago. Deer were moving, I overcompensted the camera, shot the deer, all you saw was woods, and a bang, and me saying, stay down. He did! Great shots!

Watched your video, awesome shooting, narrating , and camera control. Tried that on a deer hunt Years ago. Deer were moving, I overcompensted the camera, shot the deer, all you saw was woods, and a bang, and me saying, stay down. He did! Great shots!
It's not easy to film solo but these three made it look easy. It gave me a false sense of thinking I'm finally good at solo filming/hunting šŸ¤£

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.