4759 Powder in my 38/55

The old Lee Books and the Lyman Cast books have looads. To make it simple, start at 16 grains and work up slowly. Most levers will hit max at 20 grains or less and about 1700 fps. You do not want to lock up a lever from high pressure and these loads are low enough pressure you won't see flat primers and the like. First sign, like the lever poppping slightly open, sticky ejection, over hard recoil, back off.

The old Lee Books and the Lyman Cast books have looads. To make it simple, start at 16 grains and work up slowly. Most levers will hit max at 20 grains or less and about 1700 fps. You do not want to lock up a lever from high pressure and these loads are low enough pressure you won't see flat primers and the like. First sign, like the lever poppping slightly open, sticky ejection, over hard recoil, back off.
I have Richard Lee, Modern Reloading 2nd edition, do you mean his first edition? I will try to find it. Whoa!! Amazon wants $171 for the first edition. If anyone has a copy and a scanner would appreciate some copys of the 38/55 loads.

I have Richard Lee, Modern Reloading 2nd edition, do you mean his first edition? I will try to find it. Whoa!! Amazon wants $171 for the first edition. If anyone has a copy and a scanner would appreciate some copys of the 38/55 loads.
If you are going to go looking for a book, find the Lyman Reloading Handbook about #33 to about #45 or so. They are about $30.

Last edited:
I have an 1896 built 38 55 win 94 with no nickle steel barrel. I have shot 268 grain cast up to 17 grains in it no problem. Yours is a lot more modern so you should have no problems with those loads.

I also have a 375 winchester and have used up to 23 grains in it. That is a published load in the Lyman cast bullet book third edition, start load 20 grains, max 24 grains with a 264 cast. The 375 is just a modern 38 55 with a true 375 bore rather than the 378 to 380 of the 38 55.

Last edited:
I just looked in my Modern Reloading manual and they do not list 4759.
Thought I could help, sorry.

Cheers.

I am not near my book shelves but am pretty certain there are loads in the Lyman manuals.
I use SR 4759 in 30-30,38-55 and 375 all with cast bullets.