.475 Wildey hunting loads?

ehryk

Hey all, I just ordered a Wildey for hunting medium and large game and noticed something. Load data is very limited for it. So, before I fire up Quickload, glue a strain gauge to the barrel and go through all my leftover test powders plus buy more, I figured I would ask here if anyone loads the .475 W and what their experiences with it are?
Thanks!

You can play with other loads, but try it the recommended ones here first.
https://www.usafirearmscorp.com/reloading-data

I had a Wildey with both 45 Win Mag and 475 Wildey barrels for a little while it was a VERY picky gun. In fact, it really only shot well with Blue Dot powder. The 45 Win Mag did alright with a few others, but the 475 was frustrating to say the least. That's why I ended up selling the gun a few years ago.

Yeah, I saw those, all four of em. Ok then, experimentation it is lol Fortunately, the gas system will allow for more powder range than one would get otherwise. I think mounting a strain gauge on the underside of the barrel about an inch ahead of the gas adjustment should give me a fairly accurate reading near the case mouth. Once I get the pistol in my hands, I can look for alternative mount sites, perhaps even under the chamber, we shall see.

Fortunately, one of my hobbies is finding loads with no recipes. I haven't damaged a gun yet lol wait, that ain't so funny heheheheh

Using the Owner's Manual and factory assistance on the phone,
I could never get my .45W disassembled! Heavy recoil spring and awkward disassembly release size and ergonomics sent this firearm down the road after pinching and cutting fingers. Factory did tell me it was difficult to do.
I hope your recent model is "new & improved".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.