460 wby "ok for Elk"???

yo gauge.. you know me man. I shoot 600 grain slugs at white tail for fun. Go with the 460 man. Blow the thing in half bro. I hate runners just as much as you do. Some will say it is overkill. I say there is no such thing. I think quick death is much more ethical than a "runner's" death.

yo gauge.. you know me man. I shoot 600 grain slugs at white tail for fun. Go with the 460 man. Blow the thing in half bro. I hate runners just as much as you do. Some will say it is overkill. I say there is no such thing. I think quick death is much more ethical than a "runner's" death.

This my new favorite forum the people here are respectful .Also the hunters here get alot of heat from deer hunters and what not because 90% of hunting hate on long range hunters for some reason.I think thats why i get along with them .im not stranger to criticism .I have been on dozens of forumsand most them are against .
Shootin over 300 yards .But whatever not to go off topic ,Kittens i hope you will be a regular on here gun)

oh respect is a definate attraction. I will probably end up gettin into it with someone tho! haha But im a deer hunter and I dont hate. Bring the pain... whatever your shooting make sure its dead. 460 will do just that!!! Id like to shoot a coyote with one. I hate yotes. but man i gotta go to bed. Ill get back on tomorow and ill be gettin on old gobbler to give a couple of people a piece of my mind.

Yeah i thought about that for yotes but it's going to be my gun to turn heads mostly i love that priceless look on their face.Naw though my yote and smaller than elk gun will be that 338 abolt .I think you will get along with these folks just dont tellem em about sgw or og forum lol

Last edited:
what is OG forum?? haha.. I will be proud to tell them about sgw. I just dont like know it alls.. or people who try to be know it alls. hahahah.. Ive talked to some people on here already and they seem to be pretty nice tho.

I really don't see that the 460 Wby is "overkill" on elk. Maybe that's because the only game I ever shot with mine was PA groundhogs. :D Naturally you want to make sure than you have an adequate backstop (mountain) just in case you get a complete pass-through.

When loading the 460 Wby for groundhogs I found the Hornady 300gr HP bullet to work just fine. For elk I'd move up to the Hornady 350gr FP or RN.

I have shot quite a few factory 500 grainers but couldn't continue due to the high cost of chiropractic care. LMAO gun)

Couldn't afford the high cost of a chiropratic. I would imagine so what with the cost associated with shooting groundhogs with a 460.

This thread is a good place to ask what you guy's think about the .375 H&H youth rifle I'm putting together...I'm serious.

Encore, barrel shortened to 20 inches with a JP brake and a Choate M4 adjustable stock with a grind to fit Limbsaver pad. Should be a ***** cat with the 235 grain Speer bullets. I've already done a trigger job on the frame and replaced the hammer/trigger/locking lug springs with the Bellm replacements.

I'm kinda excited to see what it can do and at what comfort level. My 11 year old daughter likes the 7.08 Remington model 7 I put together 4 1/2 years ago for my now 13 year old son so this will be something new for him and a heck of a climbing tree stand gun for me.

I hope this isn't High Jacking the thread as I just thought it would fit in with the whole "overkill" theme.

Im not reall into a T/c guns but the overall idea sounds good like 3 yrs ago with rugers 16" 338 win mag m77.for bear nwhat not.Im starting to think about a 30-378 seriously now.Because the barrel looks to fat on 460 etc and hear the recoil and make your eyeball pop out.So im looking into a 30-378 synthetic nib for 1125$ with accubrake but id replace that stock .With a mpi m77 style or the ramline again :D.Any ways the 30-378 would be a tack driver on smaller game/deer/yote.But its a barrel burner since it's sp fast.Would the 200 grain + bullets moving at 3100 fps make the barrel last longer than them 165's?.I wish i new somewhere where i could hold a 30-378 378 416 & 460 wby and see which one i like the best in person :rolleyes:

Good to see your reconsidering. 30-378 is an excellent Weatherby choice for deer elk etc at 1000 yards and more.

I owned a Weatherby Accumark 30-378 and couldn't get it to shoot the lighter bullets satisfactorily. It shot the 240 gr. Matchking well but I got tired of it and sold it to fund my Edge. Most Weatherby rifles I've loaded for shot Barne's bullets descent, maybe it's because of the long throat. I think Weatherby's brake is only good for making noise. If I owned another one it would be wearing a baffle style such as the Pain Killer, Holland, Defensive Edge ect.

If you are considering the 30-378, you should as Chase 1 said consider the 338-378, the 338 shine from 340 on up

Yeah i seen a data for the 30-378 and a 240 grain @ 3300 fps wow has more energy than a 458 win.I like the vais style muzzle brake .Im reading the thread on here about the pain killer brake.The thing that steared me away from a 460 was the story about where the recoil poped someone's eye out .I dont want a 338-378 because i still plan on getting the 338 win mag abolt and i couldnt stand to have 2 guns in same caliber well bullet diameter (.338)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.