460 smith&wesson

I have the lil beast. a .460 the hornady flex tip in.460 kicks but flies straight & flat. I shoot the .454casuil 25 to 50 yards. Needa scope for 100 yards or more.So who makes scope base & rings ?

Ive been shooting factory Hornady ammo out of mine for years and it will shoot less than 1 MOA they are 210 gr bullets that I never been able to find for sale out side of loaded ammo. Has a Scope on it thought.
Recoil is on the lite side if your used to shooting a 44 mag full load.
I really like mine since it shoots so well just dont like the fact that you cant swap out the muzzle break for hunting.
Read and head all warnings in the manual about hearing protection. I know I thought I could get by shooting it hunting and it wouldn't bother me like I do my rifles. Wrong if its load enough that I checked for blood as soon as the pain went away.

You won't like the weight or the recoil. Not having hefted a 460 versus the 500, I can say the 500 is cumbersome while the 44 is large but still handleable (I think thats a word...lol)

You can't hip holster a 500 (not sure about the 460) but my 44 (with iron sights instead of the scope) is easy to wear in a DeSantis.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd have a .41 (I had one years ago and took a bunch of deer with it but sold it and never got another. You can one hand a .41 for a snap shot. You can't a 44 and I'm pretty sure a 460 is a 2 hander like the 500.

Maybe Clint Eastwood can one hand a 44 but I can't.

The 500 and the 460 are the same exact size (except the bore) they also make hip holsters for them as well

I have the lil beast. a .460 the hornady flex tip in.460 kicks but flies straight & flat. I shoot the .454casuil 25 to 50 yards. Needa scope for 100 yards or more.So who makes scope base & rings ?

The best advice I can give for a handgun scope is either Burris or Leupold. Others will work I'm sure but those two will be the best bet for resisting the blast and recoil. I personally like the Burris 2-7 and have one on my 460 xvr. There have been many people I talked to and many upon many have recommended Burris for it's high quality.

Also another thing with magnification, the higher you go with power, the less you have for eye relief. On 7x mine has to be held about half the distance of normal arm length shooting. At that power it becomes too un-natural position and crosshairs become hard to control.

Also another thing with magnification, the higher you go with power, the less you have for eye relief. On 7x mine has to be held about half the distance of normal arm length shooting. At that power it becomes too un-natural position and crosshairs become hard to control.

That's a very good point. So a fixed power sounds in order ?............. What bullet weight to you shoot the most ?

I would say try some out first. Hold them up and look through them and try them at different powers. Mine is ok until about 5x above that eye relief gets real short. For me, I can't settle on a fixed power, cuz I don't want to be limited, but for mine anything from 5x and under is just fine. More than that and I have to hold it with my arms bent too much and that is not natural for me. With fixed power, you get what you get and that's all you have and there is no changing.....unless the scope is changed. Me, I'll just use mine from 2x-5x and leave it at that. As for bullet weights personally I can't see using light for caliber loads in this cannon. It doesn't seem logical. How I see it is if someone wants to use 200gr boolits then they should stick with 41 or 44 mag. But with this, I see heavier boolits better suited for it. Personally I think anything above 250 is good. I like the 300 deep curls (have not loaded any yet but getting there) and the 275gr barnes (spitzer shaped) and have not gotten to the range yet but it is getting crunch te and I will make it out in the next three days or so. Hopefully more to report then.

Thanks... What kind of mounts do you have ? The lighter bullets burn way too much powder. 36 grs of H110 behind hornady 300gr XTP works for me . I have a box of Bear tooth 280 gr GC cast bullets ,I guess for those I have to use the 2nd muzzle brake that came with it ?

I have the weigand base mount. I went with that one because I don't like the warne mount suspended over the barrel like it is and I didn't need to use that much of the base, the weigand seems to fit and look better IMO. The rings I absolutely love. They are the warne maximas all steel. I had a pair of weavers with the small clamp that clamps on to the base. As I was sitting there that clamp decided to brake in two. So I like the warne maximas because they look and feel more solid, and, they are two piece.
I do not like the lighter boolits. Thy just don't seem practical in such a large case and I have heard several times that the hornady FTX 200gr are coming apart on impact and not penetrating. I may have mentioned it previously but I and sticking with heavier ones in the 275 and up. I have some 300gr speer deep curls (formerly known as good dots) that I am itching to try yet. Try searching (460 S&W gunblast). It is a really good read and will tell you much. Those boolits seem like they'd fit the bill well as long as the are .452" and lay a thumping down on anything. As for the compensator, for cast yes use the longer one (4 ports on each side) without the ports in the top. Another one try: Reloading the 460 S&W magnum "www.reloadammo.com". You may also find it under the first search as well.

Hey shooters. I personally hunt with both .44 and .460 mag. Model 29 6 3/4" and XVR 8 3/8" braked barrel respectively. Being in western maryland mountin ranges I almost always carry the .44 just for the massive weight reduction. And yes your .44s will have more than enough power for 100 to 150 yards with proper loads. The .460 is a great revolver for longer ranges though. Mine is easily capable of 2 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. But the weight of the weapon makes it rough. Loaded and scoped it is getting real close to rifle weights. Further more the immense energy of the 460 really makes it a serious meat waster if you happen to hit deer size game in the shoulder bone. Trust me when I tell you a Hornady 300gr XTP over 40.6gr of Lil' Gun producing approx. 2,584 ft-lbs hits the shoulder it ruins the whole of both shoulders and keeps on trucking from there. I would only recommend the .460 for larger game at extended ranges. It has phenomenal ballistics for a revolver, if only the great Elmer Keith could have had his way with one we might have seen extreme range kills on large game. And the recoil, noise, and muzzle flash are really quite a handfull! If you don't have hearing protection even when hunting, you will be sorry. I have taken and seen black bear taken in the 300lb weights with a .44 very effectively and humanely.Sure hope this helps anyone in the magnum revolver hunting community.

I have the 41 mag and the 460. The 41 mag is a great choice for hunting deer. It is very accurate and easy to make follow up shots accurately. The 460 is excellent as the all around choice, lots of power, I have the 14" barrel. The 500, only a small snub nose one for blowing the brains off a griz and short range is it's only use in hunting. A 460 will blow it's head of the same amount in my opinion. There again, I've never done that. It seems to me that the 500 is best reserved for guaranteed defense but that may be a one shot deal either way. A griz attacking you at 20 feet or less has to be terrifying I'd think. I'd like to hee some real life stories about the subject if anyone has one?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts