460 s&w

I had one. I tried using H110 in it and always got a pile of crap back in my face, I figured I burnt powder out the cylinder gap never figured it out. I've used H110 in my 500 S&W and 44 mags with no issue.

When I shot the Corbon 395's I had the same problem and ended up with a face full of debris so maybe that was what they used with the hard cast loads. I found that Lil'Gun got the best velocity and burned clean so that is what I use.

The problem I had was the lead fouling the barrels of both the pistol and the rifle at these velocities and pressures. Lead is hard to see without a bore scope, (With a bore light the bore/lead looks very shiny and clean, But a good bore scope tells a different story) I have cleaned many pistols that were leaded and shot terrible with jacketed bullets because of the pressure and the amount of lead fouling from using Cast bullets.

Gas checks were used to prevent cast bullets from melting under the existing pressure and heat of high pressure loadings. it appears that normal cast lead bullets are good to about 800 ft/sec. most Hard cast are rated good to 1400 ft/sec. and 22,000 Psi (28,000 CUP's) this will normally cover most hard cast bullets, beyond that You should use gas checks. But the pressure of the 454 and 460 S&W reach pressures of well over that and (53,000 to 57,000 PSI for the 460) and so the pressure and velocity is well beyond the hard cast bullet's ability in my opinion unless you load down.

I hear what the guys are saying about the hard cast bullets being a hammer for bear hunting, and as long they are aware of the barrel leading they can take steps to keep their pistols clean.
The only thing I can see is that their are other bullets that have more energy and don't lead foul barrels that will perform the same on big bears or other dangerous game. The 454's and 460's are high performance pistols and the rules are/may be different for them or any other pistols that are high pressure and high velocity.

Just a caution

J E CUSTOM

A friend of mine had a TC pistol chambered in the 460, what an incredible round! Best bullets he found that wouldn't come apart was made by Swift, I believe they're a bonded bullet. Pistol was very accurate and put a hurt on any game he used it on. Good luck with it!

When I shot the Corbon 395's I had the same problem and ended up with a face full of debris so maybe that was what they used with the hard cast loads. I found that Lil'Gun got the best velocity and burned clean so that is what I use.

The problem I had was the lead fouling the barrels of both the pistol and the rifle at these velocities and pressures. Lead is hard to see without a bore scope, (With a bore light the bore/lead looks very shiny and clean, But a good bore scope tells a different story) I have cleaned many pistols that were leaded and shot terrible with jacketed bullets because of the pressure and the amount of lead fouling from using Cast bullets.

Gas checks were used to prevent cast bullets from melting under the existing pressure and heat of high pressure loadings. it appears that normal cast lead bullets are good to about 800 ft/sec. most Hard cast are rated good to 1400 ft/sec. and 22,000 Psi (28,000 CUP's) this will normally cover most hard cast bullets, beyond that You should use gas checks. But the pressure of the 454 and 460 S&W reach pressures of well over that and (53,000 to 57,000 PSI for the 460) and so the pressure and velocity is well beyond the hard cast bullet's ability in my opinion unless you load down.

I hear what the guys are saying about the hard cast bullets being a hammer for bear hunting, and as long they are aware of the barrel leading they can take steps to keep their pistols clean.
The only thing I can see is that their are other bullets that have more energy and don't lead foul barrels that will perform the same on big bears or other dangerous game. The 454's and 460's are high performance pistols and the rules are/may be different for them or any other pistols that are high pressure and high velocity.

Just a caution

J E CUSTOM

Gas checks MANDATORY!!!

THE NEW COATINGS HELP A BUNCH TOO!!!

MY EXTREME SPREADS SHRUNK BY 50% OR MORE WITH COATINGS AND GAS CHECKS CONCURRENTLY

LIL GUN MUCH LIKE RETUMBO AND RL26

WORK ALWAYS EVERYWHERE PREDICTABLY AND RELIABLY....

MUCH RATHER LOSE 100FPS AND SHOOT THE SAME AT 10000FT 100DEG 10%HUMIDITY AS WELL AS 1000 FT 40DEG AND RAINING....

Here is my MGM .460 S&W with MGM Break. 15" + break. Great shooter. I shoot the 200 Grain Barnes XPB.
I put the red dot on it just to test the red dot. Normally shoot it with a older Simmons Gold Medal 2x7 pistol scope.
I would have to check to see the twist but I was told it is standard for the 460 SW. It will shoot from the 200 grn up to 300 grn bullets real well. I like the 200's because they shoot flatter and will do anything I need for whitetail and hogs in Oklahoma. The bullet photo is the 200grn XPB and a 44 Mag XTP. Recoil seems to be about the same as a Ruger Blackhawk Hunter I have in 44 Mag.
Mike
IMG_2044_zpshyvp58az.jpg

460%20xpb%20and%2044%20xtp%204_zpspsvmdo1y.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.