460 S&W rifle

Just one quick note.... I can't use a rifle to hunt deer in this this limited firearms zone- but I can use my 257 weatherby magnum to kill coyotes in the same area. There is literally no way to reconcile these 2 polar opposite concepts occurring at the same time. Either rifles are safe in a given population density or they are not.
Yeah. At night even so....

Delaware went with the straight Wall pistol cartridges last year. No auto-loaders, maximum 3 cartridges in the firearm.

Maryland has proposed it also, but I have not see if there are any restrictions on auto-loader. Currently, auto-loaders are allowed in all season. Waiting patiently...

Good Luck

Jerry

JE, what make barrel did you go with? Twist?
i am also very interested in how it works with the other calibers! If it is accurate with all, I may have to get one. Sounds like a hoot to pop hogs.
I live not very far from you, by the way. Thanks for the info on an interesting experiment.

I went with a 26" MGM with a 1 in 20 twist.

The 460 S&W uses the same diameter bullet (.452) as the 45 long colt and the 454 Casul. the rim diameter is the same for all three cartridges and the only difference is the length of the three cases with the 460 being the longest, the 454 the next shorter case and the 45 long colt being the shortest of the three.

when shooting the 45 colt in the big pistol it is a lackluster cartridge. the 454 steps it up but it is still 3 to 400 ft/sec slower than the 460. the nice thing for me is I have all three pistols and cartridges and can use any of them in the 460.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
After this discussion I got to thinking and I went back and found my notes on the original build and the question was ask about using the 45/70 for hunting in the straight wall restricted areas (N0), and that was what started the 460 project, the AR-15's would not handle the 45/70 so the 450 Bushmaster was chosen. And a AR-10 was required for the Raptor, also in many of the areas a semi auto was also not allowed.

Here is the rules, and the 450 "Is" included. https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...1.69i57j33.62267j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just a clarification. I have slept since then, plus I am getting old and forget details sometimes, but i keep good notes that comes in handy sometimes.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Just one quick note.... I can't use a rifle to hunt deer in this this limited firearms zone- but I can use my 257 weatherby magnum to kill coyotes in the same area. There is literally no way to reconcile these 2 polar opposite concepts occurring at the same time. Either rifles are safe in a given population density or they are not.

If you bring up that kind of logic, they will use it to dis-allow the rifle for coyotes - NOT to allow it for deer. These people don't think like you and I do. They are a different breed of cat entirely.

Update :
I have been wanting to try some 454 ammo In my 460 rifle so I got in a little range time and worked it in.

The results were also alarming.
The 260 grain Winchester 454 was bumped up from 1800 (Listed) to 2,223 average ft/sec in the rifle.(Over 400 ft/sec).

The 395 grain Core bond Hard cast went from 1525 (Advertised) to 2,025 ft/sec in the rifle. I cant wait to load up the 460 with 300, 325 and 395 grain bullets to see what the 300 to 400 ft/sec increase in additional ft/sec and 10 to 15 grains more of case capacity will do in the rifle. if the 460 can (and should reach 2400 with the 395 hard cast) Muzzle energy would be 5053 ft/lbs

I would not hesitate to hunt with the 454 ammo in the rifle, based on the velocity and accuracy in the 460. Accuracy hovered around 1 MOA under poor conditions. Cant wait :cool:

This was one of the reasons I chose the 460 S&W round. Versatility of a rifle/ pistol that will shoot 3 different levels of cartridges, (The 45 long colt, 454 Casull and the 460 S&W makes it a good range pistol/rifle and a very good hunting combo.

J E CUSTOM

Just another up date on the 460 rifle performance.

I made another range trip to settle the bullet choice for me based on energy and potential velocity. The results were surprising once again.

The 200 grain bullets went an average of 2,999 ft/sec for 3995 ft/lbs of energy.
The 300 grain bullets went an average of 2492 ft/sec for 4137 ft/lbs of energy.
The 325 grain bullet went an average of 2355 ft/sec for 4003 ft/lbs of energy.
And the 395 hard cast went an average of 1775 ft/sec (These were Corbon factory loads and produced 2767 ft/lbs of energy. Hand loads raised the bar to 3167 ft/lbs of energy with the 395's.

So bigger is not better in this cartridge and the 300 came out on top with 4137 ft/lbs of energy and the 325 was a close second with 4003 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. I could hear that big Hard cast hit the berm. but with almost 1,000 ft/lbs and 836 ft/lbs respectively, of muzzle energy difference the 300 and the 325 over the 395's they will be the bullet of choice for me depending which one is the most accurate.

Fortunately there are plenty of 300 and 325 grain bullets available but almost none of the heaver bullets So the choice is simple.

J E CUSTOM

It is eye opening, tremendous results ! I can't wait to see what the 300 and 325 grain bullets do. What kind of energy you think your getting ?

Remembered your post after I posted the results, 👍 and they are at post # 36 of this thread.

J E CUSTOM

I used to have the t/c 460 barrel ( 20" )I used to load the Hornaday 250 ftx that was for the bushmaster. Our lease in Comanche was over run by hogs. I gave it to my brother when Michigan started allowing straight wall cases for deer. You are making me want another one.

Hey J.E
Do you think a 1-16 twist is too fast for a 460 S&W ?

The 460 S&W pistol comes with a gain twist 1 in 25 to a 1 in 12 and I think the 1 in 16 should handle any bullet size you would want to hunt with. My choice was a 1 in 16 and so far accuracy has been very good with the 300 grain and 325's at 2400 to 2500 + ft/sec velocity. 👍

J E CUSTOM

if you like the ftx bullet, load the bonded shockwave from TC. Same bullet as the ftx, just bonded. I shoot the 250 bonded shockwave at 2600 from my 20" barrel 45 raptor. very accurate w/h110.