460 Rowland

Nuclear Worker

Does anybody have any experience with this caliber? Trying to decide between this and the 10mm for side arm for bear. Don't care about reloading or the cost of ammunition. Want the best caliber for the job.

Reliability and follow up shots are factors to consider.

I would probably want either in a Glock 21 (with conversion barrel).

I'm not messing with bears so I can compromise but I don't like the similarity of .45 ACP, .45 ACP+P, .45 Super and .460 Rowland.

Mine is a 10mm because it is a lot harder to confuse .40 S&W with 10mm and magazines hold more rounds. I'm not sure about recoil and follow up shots but 10mm just seems like the best step up from .45 ACP. If it is behind the .460 in muzzle energy, its probably not by much and 10mm bullets that expand to over double diameter are readily available.

For me, the more interesting question for bear is 15 rounds of 10mm or six rounds of .475 Linebaugh?

My first option is 5 rounds of 500 s&w with 500gr hornady solid....second option is glock 20 & 15rds, find myself consistently taking option 2.... Considered the Rowland route but decided against it, if you go Rowland please convince me my kool-aid is sour

My thoughts [Defensive handgun instructor]
*Go with the biggest / most power you can manage in a panic.
** Use the gun that points like your finger.
***Carry and practice with it with both hands, right and left shooting loading drills.
I also am a defensive instructor with my own tactical range. What I wanted to know has anybody used one? Not a lot of information about it.

Reliability and follow up shots are factors to consider.

I would probably want either in a Glock 21 (with conversion barrel).

I'm not messing with bears so I can compromise but I don't like the similarity of .45 ACP, .45 ACP+P, .45 Super and .460 Rowland.

Mine is a 10mm because it is a lot harder to confuse .40 S&W with 10mm and magazines hold more rounds. I'm not sure about recoil and follow up shots but 10mm just seems like the best step up from .45 ACP. If it is behind the .460 in muzzle energy, its probably not by much and 10mm bullets that expand to over double diameter are readily available.

For me, the more interesting question for bear is 15 rounds of 10mm or six rounds of .475 Linebaugh?
I have a 460SW but way to much fun to carry on the mountains

I don,t believe that anyone will need or use more than 5 or 6 rounds, so I leave/left my 10 mm at home and for extended hikes I carry a Titanium 44 revolver with a 2" barrel. If I didn't have to carry it everywhere, I would use the 460 S&W for bear.

The 10 mm is plenty powerful and it is more manageable. So in my opinion, If I had a choice of only one or the other, and a semi auto I would choose the 10 mm. I prefer the revolver because of it's dependability. And if you only had one hand that worked due to an injury, the revolver is always ready.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I don,t believe that anyone will need or use more than 5 or 6 rounds, so I leave/left my 10 mm at home and for extended hikes I carry a Titanium 44 revolver with a 3" barrel. If I didn't have to carry it everywhere, I would use the 460 S&W for bear.

The 10 mm is plenty powerful and it is more manageable. So in my opinion, If I had a choice of only one or the other, and a semi auto I would choose the 10 mm. I prefer the revolver because of it's dependability. And if you only had one hand that worked due to an injury, the revolver is allways ready.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM
Thanks for your thoughts. What brand and model is the 44? How's the recoil?

Thanks for your thoughts. What brand and model is the 44? How's the recoil?

It is a Taurus all Titanium (Except for the barrel liner) and weighs about the same as the Ammo.

Not sure they still make it or not but it is very light and easy to carry. It does however have noticeable recoil with the full house 44 special loads. At times I have used it for my carry pistol
where I thought I mite need more than the 10 mm. Now I just stay out of those places. :)

For years I carried a 44 mag while bow hunting where bear were known to be,but when I bought the Ti 44 it became my favorite for that purpose.

I don't believe in "over kill" so I carry the best option for the job under the conditions. If using the 4 wheeler, I will carry the 460 S&W in a chest holster.

J E CUSTOM

I and one son both have 460 Rowland's. Both are operating on S&W model M&P chassis. Here in Montana and Idaho quite a few members of search and rescue have started carrying the 460 Rowland for backcountry and wilderness call outs. I carried a wheel gun (Dan Wesson) for 30 years so have been both routes
Be happy to answer any questions you have

Have not had the opportunity to use for protection but it will give me great comfort on my next bow hunting trip to Kodiak. Pussycat to practice with using normal 45ACP on the range. Very happy so far. Cycles everything from the 255g hard cast Rowland's down except the very lightest 185g ACP load.

FA4C6EA4-4F5B-4403-8BD5-BC1831BEE735.jpeg

F7387913-D6A2-465A-AFDE-EE300F298E95.jpeg

C7812249-715F-4D34-B8A6-5AC7EE24E942.jpeg

I like 1911s but I don't know about using one as a backup for bear.

The 8 round magazine leaves a bit to be desired. The barrel link, barrel lugs, slide release cut out in the frame, any Series 80 stuff and collet style barrel bushings are all known failure points that get worse when you step up to 10mm or another high power chambering.

On the other hand, Glocks are a bit infamous for tolerating a lot of abuse. The barrel hood is the barrel lug and they are a big chunk of steel that is not likely to fail. There is no barrel bushing to fail, instead of a barrel link it uses a steel ramp on an insert and while the trigger isn't the greatest, there is no firing pin block, grip safety or thumb safety to slow you down or fail.

I would rather rely on a Glock and a 21 with a 10mm conversion barrel has an even stronger barrel than a Glock 20. It should be a much cheaper option too.

I and one son both have 460 Rowland's. Both are operating on S&W model M&P chassis. Here in Montana and Idaho quite a few members of search and rescue have started carrying the 460 Rowland for backcountry and wilderness call outs. I carried a wheel gun (Dan Wesson) for 30 years so have been both routes
Be happy to answer any questions you have
Thanks have been trying to get ahold of them. Don't know if there out of business or closed because of cv19. Calling multiple times and emails nothing. Where do you get your ammunition? Was looking at getting the Sig setup. That is my every day carry gun. In the 320 40 caliber so used to the weapon. Want to get the Glock for my wife. Is there anything you don't like about it? I assume loud but don't think I will care if a grizzly is looking to have me for lunch!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.