460 Rowland

I am still debating whether to go with a GLOCK or 1911 style Rowland.

1) What brand of barrels are you having the best luck?

2) What are pro's and con's of different brands "Muzzle Brakes"?

3) What company are you getting your Glock long slides?

Love the pic's! SEND MORE

Thanks for info.

Kirk

If I had to do it over (and I might) Id probably go with the Clark parts and a 1911. I have Lone Wolf parts on my Glock. While my 10mm works great Im not getting the 45/460 glock to run as smoothly as Id like it to (Definitely not reliable enough to carry for bear protection imo). Check out the Clark website, they have a list of guns they recommend for the conversion and some other info.

I'm building a 460 1911 from scratch with Caspian parts. Can't wait! Using the Clark kit. Anyone have a favorite hunting load.

I have a Glock 21 that I recently installed a 6.61" Lone Wolf barrel, compensator and 22# spring with stainless rod. My intension was to shoot 45 Super, but have been reading about the 460 Rowland and 45-08. It seems hit or miss with the Glock 460 feeding 100%. Seems a double magazine spring is needed. Might just have to get the chamber reamed for the Rowland and find out the hard way.
I would like to hear more about others experiences.

I have been carrying a 1911 Rowland conversion for work and self defense on Brown bear streams since it came out. My wife liked it so well I converted her 1911 ten years ago.
We haven't any glocks to answer your question however. The only function issue "is too light" a load for the spring given.

I bought a lot of Hornady 200 grain incapsulated semi-wadcutters a long time ago and they put our deer down very nicely. I have all the confidence in this mid-range 44 Mag equivalent on up close and personal Brown ear protection. I have been 12 feet from a very angry momma brownie and had all the confidence that if she came around the large cotton wood I was standing behind she would have had a very permanent severe headache.

Neal

May I ask what type of sights you put on yours? I was thinking red hi-viz front and white outlined notch, adjustable rear. I getting one built on a caspian frame. Hope to have it in a month or two.:D

Smith and Wesson K-frame sights on mine. My wife's has the Gold Cup sights.

Both were competition tools for years so I did everything known to increase accuracy and guarantee feeding. Both feed empty cases.

I nice grip laser would be fantastic for sure.

Neal

I went with the Clark conversion for my Colt 1911.
I hadn't shot my .45 much since I acquired my first Glock in 1999. I liked the idea of the 460 Rowland and decided to overhaul my 1911 at the same time.

My stock 1911.

I installed the Clark 460 Rowland conversion kit along with a flat mainspring housing, beavertail grip safety, Commander style hammer, lighter mainspring, and wrap-around Hogue grips.

Totally different gun. I love the way it feels and shoots.
I tried 185 grain JHP's and 200 grain SWC's this past weekend. Accuracy was excellent with both rounds. The 185's clocked 1510 fps. and the 200's went 1460 fps. I just cast a bunch of 230 grain SWC's and will be trying them as soon as weather permits. The 230's should achieve around 1340 fps. This will exceed the 1225 fps. I got with 230's in my 10mm by better than 100 fps. with a lot less recoil.

When the Rowland first came out there was not many shooting and comparing notes so I never shared velocities because no one would believe a 1911 could compete with the venerable short barreled 44.
Rand thank you for posting the velocity data....... Nice looking tools!

I Teflon coat, so I coated my wifes 1911 black and put a beautiful set of Coco Bolo's on it. I use the pachmayr wrap arounds on mine.

She refuses to shoot my 4 5/8 44 because of what she see's when I shoot it. She wanted to shoot the Rowland after she saw me shooting it. Now she is always shooting her Rowland because of the power in Bear country we travel and the fact that it doesn't have any recoil. Oh, and it has 8 rounds as fast as she can pull the trigger with lots of quick backup if there needs more convincing. Very easy to stay on the target is another awesome factor.

Neal

Got my Glock 21 back a few days ago after getting the chamber punched out to 460 and ran it over a chronograph today.
It will send 185 grain Underwood 45 Super's @ around 1380 fps, and 255 grain Underwood hard cast 460 Rowland's @ 1320 fps. It will not cycle 45 acp when fired, the spring is too heavy.
That thing is a HAMMER!
It would not feed from a mag or lock the slide to the rear until I doubled the mag spring. Now it seems to run like a champ.

Glock 21 Gen 4
6.61" Lonewolf barrel w/brake
22 # spring w/stainless rod conversion

Re: 460 Rowland Absolutely Impressed

As has been stated previously- I have carried the Rowland since it came out. Have taken some game but have chosen to shoot other things and save the Rowland's for defense period. One has been under my or my wife's arm for years.

Now living on Kodiak island for 35 years one has from time to time run into large bears during, fishing, hiking or just about anything out of doors. Fortunately I have never had to use the Rowland on anything large until today.

I set both up on tuned competition guns and because of the brake that comes with the system there just isn,t any recoil. Like most I found the ballistic data published right on and have been carrying a 200 grain hard cast semi-wadcutter because it fed the best out of the magazine and I had them handy.

1200 pounds up close and personal between the eyes and it went down literally on its forehead. Bullet came out through the neck and penetrated into the heart area. I always wondered if I should be like many and carry 300gr 44's or 45's.
Today after carrying one for decades I can say proof positive this cartridge will comfortable take any North American game. No time for hearing protection and it did not ring my ears and it did it's job with authority

Neal

Wow, glad you came out unscathed!

You said no recoil, I don't think you would feel much recoil with a beast like that "bearing" down on you!:D

I have experimented with the 230 grain LEE TC cast bullet in my 460 Rowland using Longshot powder. The bullet drops from the mold weighing 228 grains with a plain base. I am using the aluminum gas checks designed for plain base bullets. The results have been great. I am getting a consistent 1335 fps. and groups of around 2" at 35 yards. The has been no leading in the barrel and the gas checks go on good and tight. The bullet weighs 230 grain with lube and check in place.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts