.460 Rowland Reloading

Desert Demon

So this is not on the long range spectrum, but I finally converted a sidearm to the .460 Rowland. I actually bought this Glock 41 when it first came out planning to convert it then, only to realize there was not a conversion for it yet. Anyway, I've converted my Glock 41 MOS to 460 Rowland and slapped a Delta Point Pro on. The thing shoots .45acp great still with the Rowland spring installed.

What loads is everyone using for large and dangerous game?
There is minimal reloading information out there, besides what is on the 460 Rowland website. I am looking to use Hornady 230 XTPs, and maybe go up to 250gr or 300gr XTPs as well. I have some AA7. And Starline brass with Winchester LP primers.

I'm not set on XTPs, but looking to use heavy rounds.

I have the Hornady die set with the resizer, bell die, and seating/crimping die.

I would say I'm a novice reloader—only doing PRS and hunting rifles up to now. So any input on .45/.460 reloading is appreciated.

Is there any need to trim the 460 brass?

Thanks!

I don't have my data handy but I will look tomorrow and see what I have done. I do know I loaded some 230 Gold Dots for 2 legged critter and I think 250 grain Speer Deep Curl for 4 legged ones. Sadly I've. It shot any animals with them to tell you how they perform.

For anyone following. I've settled my load at 230gr XTP, 14.5gr AA7, Win LPP, seated to 1.285" COAL. 1.285 is the absolute max COAL I could get rounds to fit in Glock 21 Mag. Even with this, it still looks like The shoulder of the bullet is just at or behind the end of the case. So when I crimp, it is partially on the shoulder.

When I asked 460 Rowland about it: they said try a different bullet…

Follow up for anyone following.

I'm seating the 230gr XTP to 1.285" COAL, 14.5gr AA7, Win LPP. I'm getting right at 1350fps, which was my goal. No pressure signs (but then hard to tell with pistol).

Feeds well if I have it oiled. Otherwise, everyone once in awhile Gun won't go back into battery completely.

I think I'll try some other brand JHP, ideally one that has a rounder ogive.

Welcome to the Rowland club.
I also have a 41 converted.
I don't reload for pistols. Underwood ammo has the absolute best on the market if your interested in factory ammo.

Well this is the only pistol I reload for. So it takes a while to get it done on my Forster Co-ax.

What ammunition do you use? The 230gr?

I've got a pretty good supply of everything they make for a Rowland. But the 230s shoot the best in mine. Here's a 50 yard group through a Trijicon
D514B92A-B485-4743-AA77-3F6FC568B1E4.jpeg

I bought a glock for the Rowland conversion also but came across the full size serialized frames at Lone Wolf Dist. and have been holding off until I make a decision.

How is the recoil? any trouble feeding any ammo?

Ha. I bought this Glock 41 about 6 years ago to convert. Then after I bought it I realized that Rowland didn't make a 41 conversion yet! Sat in the safe and every six months or so I'd check in with Rowland. Finally they made one last year and I jumped on it.

I've only had issues with it going back into battery and I believe that it was just underpowered. Once I bumped up to 14.5gr AA7, haven't seen any issues. But I'm less than 100 rounds in.

I don't think the recoil is considerably more than firing a .45 FMJ at 950. It's definitely manageable.

I'd recommend going with 460Rowland if you want a 460 Rowland. They do seem to be top notch. I have a 10mm Lone Wolf Glock and have had lots of issues getting the recoil spring / compensator combination right.

I'll take that recommendation about going with 460Rowland for it. I will be waiting for some primers before jumping to the reloading!

Converted my G21 to 45 Super yrs ago and it still shoots ACP as good as ever. Heavy dangerous game, my 454 goes with me but I prefer a rifle