458 socom at distance on aoudad

TXAoudadKlr

Finally getting around to posting this.

Anyway.

I arrived at my property in delrio, Tx on the 4th of July after the evening hunt and dinner we pulled the card from our trail camera set up by our protein feeder and boy were we surprised to say the least had over 1700 pictures and about 1500 of them were from Aoudad sheep. So that next morning, I went and sat in a blind about 600 yards down the road from hoping that the herd would come and visit the corn feeder. I was running a little late to get to my blind but it didn't make a difference. I got to my blind around 6:30am, I waited 25 minutes before hearing some rocks being kicked around I looked around left and right then I looked right and slightly behind and there they were a herd of a dozen or so animals. The leader looked to be the dominate female with a large ram behind her about 15ft So I picked up my 7 rem mag centered it on his shoulder and let it rip. He spun around and took off going left I tracked him in the scope until I lost sight of him when he went down. The shot was good and left a very visible exit hole which I saw when tracking him in the scope.

Figuring that was it for my morning, I decided I would wait before going looking for him and getting my dad so that he could help me load him up. So about 10 minutes pass and I caught movement on the canyon side raised my bino's and saw that it was an even larger ram. For this shot, I wanted to used my 458 socom as he looked to be about 200 yards off so I held for 8 MOA in the reticle and sent the round and made a hit. I could tell he was hurt he moved 20 yards left and sat down. I resettled the crosshairs but at the time I couldn't remember what I had held and held for 5MOA and the shot landed below him he turned around and went to the right and stoped at a ceder bush to finish him off I shot him with my 7rem dialed 1.5MOA and I sent the round right through his heart. I watched him flop over and that was the end of that.

After that I got out and started looking for the first one I picked up the blood trail but it was faint. I looked all around and nothing. So I decided to go look for the big one he was easy to find walked up the canyon and found him right by the cedar bush where I had shot him.

After that I walked to my fourwheeler and rode to where my dad was hunting. I told him I had 2 on the ground and need help finding one of them so we went backed to camp ditched the fourwheeler and took the ranger instead to go get them we stopped and picked up the 2nd one first as he was right by the road. we drove to where the trail was on the first one I shot and my dad quickly found him. I couldn't find him for he had ran off of a 10ft ledge and was some what concealed by brush. I thought he had followed the canyon around as was going to be piled up on the far side of the canyon.

After getting them on ice, My uncle bruce and Glen pulled in to camp having forgotten my range finder at home. I borrowed my uncle bruce's range finder for I really wanted to know the distance of the shot I taken with the 458. It turns out the shot measured 290 yards and the finisher was at 306 which was over 100 yards further than I had thought. The size of them through me off.

Had I know the distance, I would not have even thought taking that shot with the 458.

The larger of the two rams ended up having 27in horns with 13in bases my largest one yet.

My next trip back on the 8th, I'm going to try and get on video of either me or my buddy knocking a few down with his custom McMillian tac50:Dgun)

10514711_857833074245656_2737053691968853045_n.jpg

Holy cow, that is a lot of goats! You don't need help thinning them down do you? :D

290 with a .458 socom is a heck of a poke but not impossible, you may be impressed what a large slow moving slug will do. Makes me think to the buffalo hunters of time forgotten..... If the accuracy was there, I don't think I'd have a problem unleashing on one with my Beowulf...

I'm looking forward to the upcoming video, keep us posted.

t

Yeah, I think most just get wrapped up in it being a heavy, slow low b.c bullet too much to the point they don't try and push its capabilities.

Them being a exotic species there is no season or bag limit all that is required is a valid hunting license.

When I killed the first on in 2011 we were very excited to have an exotic specie's on the property now they have turned into a nuance more than anything. They have damaged 3 of our protein feeders in the past 6 months on top of deer aren't a huge fan of them. They typically run off if the aoudad come out.

What are the specs of your gun and what bullet did you use? I was looking at Wilson Combat .458 barrel kits and suppressor but never got around to building one. A suppressed 458 would definitely be ideal to take out a bunch of aoudads or pigs.

Just a RRA mid length 458 socom. With a few upgrades bcm gunfighter charging handle and pistol grip and bcm extractor spring kit. Vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32 night force rings and a Harris bipod. I'm using Sbrammo 300gr Barnes tac-x.

Here's the bullet I pulled out of him, found it on the adjacent side in the ribs it weighs 297.6 grains.

10463912_847924265236537_4100438181601991950_n.jpg

That is cool that you were able to recover that bullet, which from what everyone says is the best bullet for the Socom. According to JBM calcuations you hit that sheep with almost 900 lbs. of energy at that distance. How big are those aoudad weight wise and are the very good to eat? Keep up the good posts and I think you helped me finally decide to build a 458 Socom.

The big rams can get over 300+lbs. I don't have a game scale yet but the bigger aoudad of the two I'd say was around the 280-300lb mark. The smaller one being 240-250.

Yes, they are good to eat. My dad has cooked the several different ways. Chicken fried is a good one. We've also taken the aoudad's tenderloin marinade it for about 6 hours wrap bacon around it and grill it, also have cooked ground meat for tacos and hamburgers. The meat itself is real mild in flavor but is coarser than whitetail. I firmly believe the amount of feed we put out plays a role in that, along with we also have a good amount of native grasses and such compared to wake where like South Texas were it's mostly mesquite and cedar.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.