458 lott solid or soft for bear stopper

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by backyardsniper, Mar 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. backyardsniper

backyardsniper Well-Known Member

Going to Kodiak in a month and will likely be carrying my CZ 550 in 458 Lott. What bullets would you recommend as a strictly back up bear stopper. I'll be going with a buddy of mine who is doing the actual hunting, I'm just carrying a rifle in case we get into a pinch, self defense, type situation. Which if that happens I want to be able to bring it to a screeching halt. I also have a 45/70, a christensen ridgeline in 300 win mag, and two different shotguns, an 870 tactical, and a versamax tactical. If there is one of those you would recommend over the 458 then let me know. I'll have a 44 mag ruger redhawk in a galco kodiak holster as well.

2. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

For defense only! The 870, for a fast repeat shot, using a very good grade of slugs. I haven’t studied shotgun slugs in years, but there are some good ones available! memtb

Josh P and Mustang72 like this.
  3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

447 grain Hammer Sledge Hammer in the Lott.

4. backyardsniper

I've decided on the Lott for the trip ..i loaded up a bunch of 350gr hornady round nose because that was just what I had on hand. 83gr of reloader 10 with a good crimp in the cannelure shot very accurately and was manageable as far as recoil is concerned. Book says these should be doing around 2700fps and have about 5300ftlb of energy at the muzzle. Does anyone think that I need to mess with the 500gr bullets or will the 350's be plenty sufficient. This rifle will only be for a self defense type situation so I'll just be using the express sights and no scope. This load shot dead on poa poi at 25yds and seemed to have PLENTY of horsepower

HARPERC likes this.
  5. Salmonchaser

Salmonchaser Well-Known Member

More then adequate. A number of guides I know are happy with 338 and .375.

cross and Guy M like this.
  6. backyardsniper

That's kind of what I thought. Was gonna run my 45/70 but it weighed almost the same as this rifle ans has one of those side safeties and I dont like that at all. Too easy to get accidentally engaged. I was afraid of not being able to be very precise in a charge situation with the shotgun and only a bead to aim with. So through the process of elimination the 458 Lott seemed to be the way to go ..it handles great and points well and I have reloading equipment for it so I can afford to go to the range and put some rounds down range for practice

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  7. Josh P

Josh P Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with the 870 and slugs how many does it hold? My CZ550 in 458 Lott holds 5+1 I shoot the 500gr Hornady DGX it's a hoot but it's kinda big and slow to shoot. I think I would go with what I could shoot the fastest if I was going as backup. Is the 45-70 a leaver gun it may be a good choice if you shoot it well if it's a leaver it'll be compact and fast handling. If you'll be camping out in a tent I'd go 870 not alot to go wrong there and could run 00 buck at night if you get a visitor in the dark.