450 Bushmaster Vs 45 Raptor

engineer40

By all accounts the 45 Raptor beats the 450 Bushmaster in performance. At 100 yards, the 45 Raptor has about 700ft lbs of energy over the 450 Bushmaster still.

I think the main draw to the 450 Bushmaster is it's convenience. I can get an upper for $550 and slap it on a lower I already have.

But for some reason I'm so stuck on the idea of getting a DPMS G2 and getting a 45 Raptor barrel put on it!

Both would be more accurate than the shotguns I currently use for deer hunting in the restricted areas of Michigan.

Anybody that lives in the areas of the midwest that restrict to straight walled cartridges want to chime in on this one? Thanks!

barrel extensions are different from gen1 ar 308 not sure anyone makes aftermarket barrels for g2. I looked into 45 raptor before I went with 7mm-08 finding brass dies cost of 45 projectiles. 450 bushmaster ar15 platform

Thanks!

I am also not sure of anyone makes barrels for the G2's yet. I just assumed somebody would be making them eventually! I mean, its a sub $1500 semi auto 308 with multiple versions of it weighing in under 8lbs. Seems like unless they are a truly horrible firearm, the aftermarket for these will be picking up eventually...

I think they are close enough that the 450 would be my choice both have way more energy than you need for white tail. And accuracy is gonna limit you for distance like comparing the socom to the 450. Socom beats it all over but I've had both and both drop anything you want inside decent ranges and you couldn't tell the difference. As a matter of fact I prefer the 450 for deer because the pistol Bullets loaded in them are softer and work great.

I have a 45 raptor in a bolt action. It's an amazing cartridge. I've shoot 2 deer and it hits them very hard. For the ar platform, the BM is an easier way to go. From a performance perspective there's no comparison. My current load shoots a 200 gr xpb over 2900 fps. That's no typo. It shoots 1.5" @ 150 meters. The BM is plenty of gun though.
You're just north of me, cause I live in Grandville.

By all accounts the 45 Raptor beats the 450 Bushmaster in performance. At 100 yards, the 45 Raptor has about 700ft lbs of energy over the 450 Bushmaster still.

I think the main draw to the 450 Bushmaster is it's convenience. I can get an upper for $550 and slap it on a lower I already have.

But for some reason I'm so stuck on the idea of getting a DPMS G2 and getting a 45 Raptor barrel put on it!

Both would be more accurate than the shotguns I currently use for deer hunting in the restricted areas of Michigan.

Anybody that lives in the areas of the midwest that restrict to straight walled cartridges want to chime in on this one? Thanks!

The raptor requires a AR 10 platform for the extra performance. And they cost almost double the AR15s. If you want a AR10, It opens up a lot of powerful cartridges even the 338s. not sure you can by ammo or not but making it cant be that hard.

The 450 Bushmaster uses the AR15 platform and ammo is readily available At a reasonable price
($22.00 to$28.00 dollars a box) if you don't reload.

Some of the big AR platform cartridges are propriety and ammo or brass is hard to find. I found the 450 bushmaster to be the best bang for the buck and with the new regs in some states, it is legal.

I am also interested in the possibility of the short mags in an AR 10 (Something like a 338 RCM)

J E CUSTOM

I think they are close enough that the 450 would be my choice both have way more energy than you need for white tail. And accuracy is gonna limit you for distance like comparing the socom to the 450. Socom beats it all over but I've had both and both drop anything you want inside decent ranges and you couldn't tell the difference. As a matter of fact I prefer the 450 for deer because the pistol Bullets loaded in them are softer and work great.

It's interesting to me that you have a 450 Bushmaster and you still choose to hunt with your NEF/H&R single shot 20 gauge. Can I ask your reasoning?

I'm asking because I've also been considering a TC Encore in 460 S&W (which is ballistically identical to the 45 Raptor). The main reason I've not been as interested in the TC option is because it's as heavy as the DPMS G2 rifles, so why not have a repeater?

I have a 45 raptor in a bolt action. It's an amazing cartridge. I've shoot 2 deer and it hits them very hard. For the ar platform, the BM is an easier way to go. From a performance perspective there's no comparison. My current load shoots a 200 gr xpb over 2900 fps. That's no typo. It shoots 1.5" @ 150 meters. The BM is plenty of gun though.
You're just north of me, cause I live in Grandville.

I've also been toying with this idea. Did you put the rifle together yourself? Any feeding issues?

Thanks!

The raptor requires a AR 10 platform for the extra performance. And they cost almost double the AR15s. If you want a AR10, It opens up a lot of powerful cartridges even the 338s. not sure you can by ammo or not but making it cant be that hard.

The 450 Bushmaster uses the AR15 platform and ammo is readily available At a reasonable price
($22.00 to$28.00 dollars a box) if you don't reload.

Some of the big AR platform cartridges are propriety and ammo or brass is hard to find. I found the 450 bushmaster to be the best bang for the buck and with the new regs in some states, it is legal.

I am also interested in the possibility of the short mags in an AR 10 (Something like a 338 RCM)

J E CUSTOM

Thanks J E Custom... You share my thought process also. I wouldn't be as interested in an AR 10 platform if they still all weighed over 9lbs.

I do reload.

And I'll admit, the pragmatic part of me knows half the reason I want an AR 10 platform in 45 Raptor is because it's different... And different is cool sometimes.

I've also been toying with this idea. Did you put the rifle together yourself? Any feeding issues?

Thanks!
Yes, put 4 of them together. Savage model 16 stainless, satern barrel, and some patience. There were a few issues. First was the magazine. The bullets wanted to dip before feeding because this magazine started off as a 243. A spring fixed that. The feeding was another issue. I changed the ramp angle with my dremel and it's much better. There were some other small things, but they're all good now.My gun is a little heavy, but it's because the barrel wasn't contoured(we were in a hurry to get guns built). I'm getting it fluted after this season and should remove about 1#. This is my third season and have retired my smokeless muzzleloader to just the bp season. My suggestion is to use a 20" barrel because it gets you some serious extra velocity and allows some different powders. Btw h110, enforcer, and accurate#9 have been the best.
Contact satern barrels if you go this route.

I no longer have the 450 and got Rid of it before it was legal that's one reason. Second is I love shotgun hunting because of the challenge and like you said to be different. I even take it out west. Most of all is that is is super accurate. Much more so than all the 450 ar's I have shot. It holds very tight groups at 200y. It also out shoots my socom. I have toyed with the idea of another 450 but if it's accurate how often do you need a second shot on a white tail.